I don't feel like we have all that much news. We went to a water park last Thursday with a few of the kids' friends and stayed for 8 hours! Opening to closing. It was very fun. We are going to another (bit of a drive) tomorrow with a family that's about to leave for the summer. This ward/branch is the opposite of Baumholder in the summer. Most of the wives and children leave for 1-3 months while the dads stay and work and get away for just a few weeks at a time. In July we combine the ward and branch and meet at 10 am. That's going to be a challenge for us who are usually still in bed at 10am on Fridays! ha ha. Our schedules have gone so wacky. Matt still has Wednesdays and Thursdays off. While it would be nice to go to church as a family, he is actually being very useful on base where they have LDS services on Sundays. The attendance varies between 9-15 people, most of the guys are only here for 3 month rotations, so Matt is providing some needed stability.
It's HOT. The highs range in the one hundred and teens region, the low, at like 4 in the morning is 88. 88 is as low as we can hope for even in the dead of night. I have been trying to run in the mornings, getting up at 6:30 with Matt and leave at 6:45. It's bearable, mostly. Some days you can really feel the humidity to the point it is hard to breathe. I have only been managing 5 1/2 miles 4 times a week (I don't get up on Matt's days off or Fridays). Swimming is a great option and I have my bike now, so I should hop on it, but nothing is quite as satisfying as running. I have one more race--the last 10k of a 3 race series on Saturday. It starts at 6 to try and capture the lower temps. I placed 1st in my age group in the last one in April. If the competition stays away again, who knows, maybe I'll stick around and get a medal this time.
We rather selfishly gave Matt a small grill for father's day and all the ingredients to make a delicious steak dinner. Because Friday is the Sabbath here, my birthday was on Father's Day (for the branch). We went to church early to gift bag lots of homemade cookies to give to the dads. We celebrated ourselves on Saturday because Matt had a training day and was able to come home after only half a day. The kids surprised me with breakfast in bed (after I had run and showered :-) Later we had steak and a fruit pizza birthday cake--simply divine.
The kids are looking forward to the Olympics. Makenna wants to tell Kim that we will keep her posted on who is winning. It really doesn't seem like it's been 4 years since we were all cheering on Michael Phelps in China. A lot of the British stores here are hyping up the games.
The kids are excited to start ski lessons in July. Our wonderful piano teacher loaned us about a dozen fun piano books for the summer and Makenna is learning the Entertainer, Isaac is playing Pirates and the theme to Peanuts. I love having them play again. I am dedicated to practicing and relearning myself. I am trying to stay ahead of Jess so I can at least help her. The other two are too far beyond to for me to have a hope of catching up.
Stay cool and be safe!
No comments:
Post a Comment