North Las Vegas took the best two times for each event to the All-Star Meet. They raced against Summerlin, YMCA, and Anthem. Makenna swam two events (25 butterfly and backstroke), Isaac 3 (25 butterfly, breast and 75 freestyle). I wish they would have done the IM because that's where Makenna really shines. But they placed in each of their races. Isaac got two 3rds and a 1st. Makenna placed 5th in both of hers. But it was interesting to note that she beat all but one of the boys in her age division. I guess girls can be faster pre-puberty? The thing they were most excited about was that for the first time, Summerlin didn't win the overall team trophy. NLV beat them by 3 points.
It made for a rather long evening. We had to be there at 5 for check in. They wrote the numbers of the kids' races on their arms with markers, like a triathlon list. We never had a normal dinner, just snacked on the muffins, watermelon and grapes we brought. A couple of snow cones helped combat the heat too. It was nice when the sun went down. It was still over 100, but felt MUCH cooler. Jess did great passing the time. We read a few books, she ran around, and entertained us with her funny personality. Here's a quote Matt told me from when they went to get a snowcone. "I was walking by her and I breathed in her hiccups. Now I have them. I don't love that girl."
My long runs have been getting longer. I guess I have been easing back towards marathon training without really meaning to. But now that I have put in the miles, I can't help thinking about some possible races. Maybe that's all counterproductive considering the tri coming up in Sept though. I really ought to be spending more time on my bike. The swimming is getting done. It's easy when everyone wants to go. Makenna has been playing teacher to Jess while Matt, Isaac and I do laps. After I joined them in the little pool yesterday, Jess showed off doing full laps (15 yd-ish) of freestyle and backstroke. She really wants to do the kids triathlon with us in April. I think she'll do fine.
We had seven very big boxes of school stuff come a couple weeks ago. There was flurry of interest while opening them up and unpacking. But since then, school has taken a back seat to friends. They are all taking advantage of their friends being out of school. Jess too, though she doesn't quite comprehend the full impact that all her friends are starting kindergarten too. So there are two more weeks to play, then the trip to Lake Powell, and it's back to work.
This is Jessica's best buddy, Ellie. They have been playing everyday this week, but it's never enough. When we are out and about, people often ask if they are twins. Same height with blond bobbed haircuts. She's asked four times since I have been typing if I have called her mom yet. And why not?!
No comments:
Post a Comment