Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentine Weekend

Brian and Hillary came for the long weekend.  They had a lot of running around to do with house hunting and job seeking, which was good because we had book groups, library classes, football practices and 15 mile runs to do, but we saw each other for some fun times too. They met up with us at SkyMania Friday afternoon for some jumping.  There is Makenna.  Her record was 16 toe touches in a row.

Our two soccer/homeschool family friends were there too.  They each have two kids: boys Isaac's age and girls Jessica's age.  Makenna kind of drifts between the two groups.  We often bring an extra friend for her when we meet up with them, but this time she had two parents and an uncle and almost aunt with whom to play.  An almost aunt who is queen of trampolines.  Yes, we photographic proof. Right side up and 180 degree turn.



The best part, for Matt and I, of their visit was going out for a long date night.  It was Valentine's weekend which made reservations a little tricky.  Cirque du Soleil has a great deal for locals till the end of the month where you buy one ticket at normal price and get the 2nd for $25.  We wanted to go to "O", but that show was sold out all week.  We went to their Beatles Love show instead.  That's the 3rd cirque show I've seen (Matt missed Mystere because of work.) and they are all so different.  This one was crazy fun.  I don't even want to attempt to describe it.  There was often too much to see with people on the ground, in the air and all the levels in between.  The theater itself was interesting.  It was like a big "Globe" theater with the stage in the middle and the audience all around.  Two parts in particular stood out to me because of the kids recent activities, but Cirque took them to a whole different dimension.  Rollerblading and trampolines, in ways I didn't know were possible.  We had a lovely slow dinner before the show and then didn't get home till late.  Then everyone really slept in the next morning.  I think it's the first time since being married that I thought, good thing we don't have 9:00 church.  We are usually rather early risers, but Sunday morning we were starting breakfast at 9.

After church we chopped fruit and brought out the chocolate fountain.  For a boy that has proclaimed fruit to be his mortal enemy for most of his life, Brian put away a whole lot of strawberries.  Maybe the "chocolate coating makes it go down easier."  We had hot, fresh refrigerator rolls too.  If the fountain only cleaned easier, I'd say we found a new Sunday tradition.  Of course, we'd probably all gain 10 pounds too. 


Note to Brian and Hillary: Jessica is worried that you forgot to pack some of your cards, so she is making some new ones for you when you come back. 


Monday after they left we had a Valentines party at the park with several other homeschool families.  It was a gorgeous day.  The kids played a few games, exchanged valentines, had treats and played in the beautiful weather for a couple hours.  I had an "I love living in Vegas" moment when we got home and the kids were going through their cards and treats.  The chocolate ones all had to go in the fridge because they were squishy, melty.  Ahhhh, February.  As they went through the cards (hillarious listening to them read them out loud to each other.  If there is a lovey one, the girls giggle and Isaac groans) Matt and I went on an afternoon run together in shorts and t-shirts.  That was a treat.  Normally I go in the morning at sunrise and it's still nippy.  Wearing shorts felt great! 

The girls are passing the cup with straws, no hands.  Isaac is wondering if he can go play football yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment