Sunday, September 12, 2010
Family Walk
We have been going on Sunday evening walks for the last few weeks. It is high value entertainment. The kids all wear their headlamps. Isaac is terrified of cockroaches (of which there are many at dusk) and spends the whole time leaping over all the sidewalk cracks, fallen leaves, dark colored rocks and real bugs. Watching him quick-step, hop, leap and yell is rather exhausting as an observer. I can't imagine how many calories he's burning. Tonight the girls started a new experiment. Jessica's hypothesis was that cockroaches are deaf. (She learned about the scientific method last week.) So when they came upon a roach, both girls would simultaneously bend down and yell at it. AUUUUUGH! And then see if it stayed still or scurried away. It was hilarious and they showed no signs of stopping. But after 1/2 a mile and 20+ yells, we had them stop in fear that some neighbors would come running out to see who was being attacked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The roaches here are CRAZY too! I hope they are deaf since most people I know scream pretty loud at the sight of them. I have to admit that even though most bugs dont creep me out those roaches in their enormous size get me a little squeemish -- Let me know when you guys reach your 'conclusion' on the experiment :)
ReplyDeleteHow funny! I'd like to join them on their walks. That's fun that Isaac's afraid of them. BTW, do you want another grasshopper exoskeleton? Justin found one on Saturday and we saved it just in case.
ReplyDeleteWe learned about the scientific method too! Was it in Jess's science class? Today Justin and I were helping the kids come up with a procedure to test our two hypotheses about why they were grumpy and uncooperative today. : )