Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Carol

This year our homeschool group did a different play.  For the last two years it has been a simple, song filled, ditty called "Santa's Workshop."  This year our superwoman director decided to ramp it up and do a Christmas Carol.  We had a bunch of new families join over the summer, so the cast size was huge--pushing 40!  Everyone pitched in and it turned out really well.  We had three performances at nursing homes during one long day and then one evening performance the next week in the chapel at the big downtown shelter.

I was in charge of costumes, which was more of an organizational task than sewing.  I only made three--Marly's shroud, the Ghost of Christmas present, and Scrooge's night shirt.  The latter two were really more altering and improving on a graduation robe and a men's dress shirt.  The real job was in keeping track of all the items different families generously loaned.  I meticulously labeled everything, bagged all the pieces for each character and then handed them out and collected them back for each dress rehearsal and performance.  It was so nice to hand them back after the last performance.

One of the things I really love about homeschooling is the wide range of people with whom the kids get to interact.  This is Makenna with an awesome15 year old girl.  They got to be buddies during rehearsals and she started bringing things to entertain Makenna when they weren't on stage.  Makenna, of course, adores her.  All the kids know and have friends among a wide range of ages.  Th cast went from age 4 all the way up to 15.  This is a crummy picture taken at the first nursing home.  All I had was my iPhone in poor lighting, but I wanted to capture the moment. 


Makenna is Fan, Scrooge's sister, Isaac is young Scrooge and Jess is a caroler.

Makenna's dress was borrowed.  I just added a few red rosettes to make sure she didn't look too white like the ghost of Christmas Past.

A caroler warming her hands by the fire.

A better shot with a better camera.

Marly's shroud is made from a twin flat sheet.  

"Dear, dear brother, I've come to bring you home for Christmas!"

Oh, Isaac was also a dancer at Fezziwig's Party.  


Here is the graduation gown edged in faux fur.  

A small percentage of the cast at the curtain call closing carol. 

Can you see all three of my kids peeking over?

No comments:

Post a Comment