Maybe if I blog about our day in the evening when we are tired out from walking, I can at least keep up with this trip. I know I still have missing entries from summer and Germany, but I'll try to do better for 4 days straight!
When we first learned that we were going to Sicily, the kids had visions of Rome (so did I). They all loved learning about ancient Rome in history and were thrilled by the prospect of visiting in person. When our time in Sicily was cut to only 3 months, I knew I had to make going to Rome a top priority or time would slip by and we wouldn't make it. I stepped up. The second week in country, I booked tickets and a hotel. Unfortunately, Matt could not get a block of time off--he's here to support the mission, not travel. Rats. He has been wonderfully supportive and helpful though.
The kids each picked two topics/sights to read about and they will be giving their reports on video to be posted on youtube a little later.
So we woke up early this morning, had a quick breakfast and left for the airport. We overestimated the time it took to get there--it was less than 15 minutes! And we checked our bags, went through security and found our gate in another 15. Then we got to peole watch and play I Spy for over an hour while we waiting for the time to board the plane. It's a cheap local airline without assigned seats. About 25 minutes before take off time, a swarm started at the gate. I didn't catch on fast enough and thrn worried that we wouldn't have seats together. But it worked to our advantage. We were some of the last ones getting onto the first BUS. So when we unloaded the bus at the plane, we got our first pick of seats. Hee hee.
Fast, easy flight. Jess and Isaac had window seats. We got our luggage, found the train station, but ended up using a shuttle bus instead and arrived at our "hotel". It's more a door opening up to a group of rooms attached to a lobbyish area on the second floor. It could just as easily be a dentist's office if it had fewer beds and more sharp objects. In fact there is a dentist down the hall. But it's clean, has excellent water pressure and the location is great.
Our first order of business was food. The kids were ravenous by this time. We started walking towards the Forum and stopped at the 3rd pizzeria we passed, because they had gorgeous gelatto as well. We ordered two pizzas and a plate of french fries to share. We got stuffed and the gelatto had to wait till later.
 |
| Isaac picked the "gladiator" pizza with artichokes and ham. |
 |
| Makenna and Jessica shared one with giant salami. |
 |
| I snapped this as we passed by. We will visit the Forum more thoroughly another day. |
 |
| We had already driven by some amazing stuff in the shuttle, but looking down in detail had some wow factor. |
 |
| Makenna studied up on the Trevi Fountain. I videoed her twice. I hope we can hear her over the noise of the water. They collect $3500 a day on average thanks to the legend that says you will return if you throw a coin in over your shoulder. |
 |
| I'm not sure if they were posing for pictures for money or advertizing the fun costumes you could buy from street vendors. But we thought they looked fun. Makenna tried to snap a picture when they were texting and eating ice cream, but peole kept walking by. |
 |
| I really liked this column. I thought it was Marcus Aurelius, but it doesn't quite match the picture in the giude book. It's nearby, at least. This is a block away from the Spanish Steps. |
 |
| Looking down the steps. "Hey, it this where the Princess rode down in Roman Holiday?" Proud moment. |
 |
| We are in shadow, but you get the scope of the site. |
 |
| He tried it and agrees. |
 |
| Roman water is good! |
 |
| This fountain is just in front of the steps. It's pretty basic, a flooded boat, really. |
 |
| Now we are at the Fountain of Triton. (There are a bunch of other fountains that I'm not including!) |
We popped into a couple of churches we passed by, but it was getting dark. I tried this next picture of Tempio Adriano, but it doesn't do it justice. We will go back when we revisit the Pantheon during the day too. It's just around the corner. Jessica studied the Pantheon which gets the award of ONLY complete ancient structure. It is truly a marvel. No wonder it has been copied and recopied over the millenia.
 |
| Tempio Adriano |
 |
| One more. We saw this and thought of Uncle Brett. It's a life size wooden motorcycle. It was a cute shop full wooden toys. |
Wow, wow, wow!
ReplyDelete