Missula Children's Theater is a rather impressive organization. I didn't know a thing about them before last week, but I am now a fan. I had seen posters advertising auditions for The Jungle Book, but didn't even consider it thinking we wouldn't be here for the 2 months of rehearsals. But at church the day before auditions, I was set straight. Auditions Monday, performance Friday night with intense rehearsals in between.
I stayed in the cafeteria to watch the process Monday morning. I brought along some yarn for scarves and finished another--so satisfying! They started with 67 kids. A couple left before the two hours were up and I guess a few more dropped out mid week because there were just under 60 names in the program. They had the kids take turns saying short lines and singing together. At the end of two hours they sat the kids down and handed out roles and scripts. Isaac was Akela, Makenna Kaa #1, and Jessica Wolf Pup #4. We ran to grab Subway at the food court next door and then came back for the first rehearsal.
During the next few days they spent 18 hours rehearsing and a few more practicing lines at home. Not to mention a few songs.
After a full rehearsal Friday, I picked the kids up to have an hour break and a big early dinner at home. They had to be back for make-up by 5. I was joined by Matt and L3 Troy to watch the show. The Shefcheks and McEwens had kids in it too.
I stayed in the cafeteria to watch the process Monday morning. I brought along some yarn for scarves and finished another--so satisfying! They started with 67 kids. A couple left before the two hours were up and I guess a few more dropped out mid week because there were just under 60 names in the program. They had the kids take turns saying short lines and singing together. At the end of two hours they sat the kids down and handed out roles and scripts. Isaac was Akela, Makenna Kaa #1, and Jessica Wolf Pup #4. We ran to grab Subway at the food court next door and then came back for the first rehearsal.
During the next few days they spent 18 hours rehearsing and a few more practicing lines at home. Not to mention a few songs.
"I see you fear us, now hear us. AAWWOOOOO!"
"Look well, O wolves." Not only did Isaac have a bunch of lines, but he had several solo lines of singing and a dance to learn. He would never have been willing to do this, let alone excited, before the Shakespeare experience.
"Nassssty creaturessss."
After a full rehearsal Friday, I picked the kids up to have an hour break and a big early dinner at home. They had to be back for make-up by 5. I was joined by Matt and L3 Troy to watch the show. The Shefcheks and McEwens had kids in it too.
The full cast curtain call.
The wolf family. Father, Mother and their pups.
Kaa. Makenna's friend Brooklyn was Kaa #2.
"Let him be accepted!"
Akela is very popular with the pack.
AWWOOOOOO!!"
"Good Hunting!"
After the costumes were turned back in.

No comments:
Post a Comment