Monday, October 8, 2012

Life is Busy

I am sorry to say that Isaac and I will not be making a trip to the Ukraine temple this month.  October has become impossibly busy for us.  There are multiple things scheduled on top of each other and we have had to down-size some of our plans/hopes.  At first I couldn't go, but we were still going to send Isaac.  We were figuring out the extra paperwork required to get him through 4 sets of customs as a minor, accompanied by an unrelated person not trying to kidnap him, but then realized that the big 4 day scout campout/white water rafting trip is also the same weekend, not the following as noted on the original calendar. . . .  There is still a group going from our ward and so we will still be able to get a package to you.  We probably would not have been able to see you in person.  I think we will shoot for going in the spring and taking the girls too.  We can stay an extra day and see some of the city.  

Right now I miss the Sabbath being a day of rest.  That's what our RS president was saying as she came into ward council two weeks ago and the days have just gotten more busy since then.  Last week, we went early for choir practice, then after church, Brother Van Moorsel drove the kids home while I stayed for the General RS broadcast.  This week they are showing one session of conference followed by 4 hours of stake training for all auxiliary presidencies.  Fun stuff.  I'm hope they have a suggestion for how to fit 40 kids on a tiny stand or have them visible from the floor for the program.  Parts were passed out last week.  

After the quickie phone call to mom and dad on Saturday, interrupting conference, we turned it on ourselves.  We all loved President Uchtdorf's talk.  Makenna even wrote a FHE lesson on it before going to bed. We are listening to a talk or two during dinner each night now, or at least, that's the plan to continue.  The missionary ago change is a little mind blowing.  I am hoping to get more info on it.  Matt and I aren't sure about it. 18.  Good grief.  That's awfully young.  

I think the bug that worked its way through the whole family is finally on its way out.  Matt still has a bit of a lingering cough, but no one is laying around surrounded by piles of used kleenexes anymore and the new bottle of NyQuil to replace the two empties, has remained unopened.  Matt and I were hit the hardest.  Maybe the bugs took advantage of a bigger playground  or maybe we made it worse by still going to work/school/driving/scuba class.  Having had a second scuba class, I can't tell you how relieved I am that it is much easier to breathe with a healthy set of lungs.  Last week it was so hard to suck in a full breath.  It hurt and was exhausting.  And I was freezing.  The water was cold in the pool.  They brought wet suits for Makenna and I this time.  Those suckers are a pain to get on.  
Isaac has his new suit.  He wore it to church last Friday.  He looks sharp.  This is a picture of it getting fitted.  There is extra fabric in the cuffs and legs to allow for some growth.  He picked a dark, slightly metallic red for the lining.  I like it.  He got lots of compliments at church.  



The girls tried another gymnastics class and are signed up to go once a week until December.  It's a 90 minute class of acrobatic/rhythmic gymnastics.  I hope Jess liked it.  She would like to do more soccer too, but not when it's still pushing 100 degrees.  

I haven't run in more than 2 weeks.  I broke my toe.  I managed to catch it on the corner of the pillar by the couch as I quickly rushed by bringing Isaac a stay awake snack.  Down I went and down went the snack.  I iced it as a precaution, trying not to think about the cracking sound I had heard.  Later that evening, 1/2 my foot was black and blue.  Walking was painful for a few days.  The bruising is less and walking is fine as long as I am in flip flops.  Anything trying to enclose my toes hurts (including fins).  I had run 9 miles the morning I broke it.  I don't know how long I have to wait to run again without making it worse.  Advice?  

My happier news is the book group that I started organizing last spring, had its first meeting and was a great success.  We had close to 50 kids spilt between 3 groups.  The girls were in the middle group discussing Sign of the Beaver.  Isaac was in the teenage group leading the discussion on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  I am most pleased that the oldest group had such success.  I had envisioned them being peer led, but wasn't sure if bashfulness would get in the way.  Isaac prepared lots of good questions and a good map activity.  The other kids participated willingly and volunteered to lead different months, with parental guidance.  There has been a lot of positive feedback from kids and moms from all the groups.  We are meeting at a park with plenty of shady spots.  The park backs onto a beach. It was a glorious end to a lot of mental strain.   These shots are of Makenna, Jess and two friends after the book club.



2 comments:

  1. I hope the girls like gymnastics! That is so exciting. :) And it's so crazy to think how soon Isaac could be leaving on his mission. How does he feel about the new age change? I hope your toe gets better soon... that sounds painful. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. about the age change - they will also be spending about 1/3 the time in the MTC. They expect them to come trained and ready to teach (sans language training). Serious business.
    Good luck with all your busy-ness! At least you can still go to the beach. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete