My phone's microphone died. Matt took it apart and replaced it with a part he ordered off ebay, but the part was bad. Doing so also messed up the battery. With the wait times for mail, and the necessity of having a phone here, he ordered me a new one and told Isaac that if he could fix the old one, he could have it. Having seen Matt take it apart, I didn't have high or even moderate hopes for his success, but he was determined and properly incentivized. The picture below shows him carefully watching the youtube video while working and all the bowls numbered by step containing parts he took out to get to the microphone. Luckily the second microphone Matt ordered was good. And for a day or two, Isaac was thrilled to have a working iphone to call his own. Then the new battery started to die faster and faster, getting to the point of lasting less than a minute. He did more research and found the battery he needed was APN 616-0582 and the battery he had just put in was APN 616-0580. Well, that explains it! So we ordered another battery and he performed another operation (much simpler for just the battery) and one month later, he still is loving his hand-me-down phone. He certainly earned it. And after two microphones and two batteries and shipping, we were only out about $50.
We have had two baptisms since this was taken. The kids gathered in to watch a church video while father and son got changed. It was about the man in Alpine who walked back and forth to Salt Lake each week to help build the temple. Makenna and I got to see his house with Emily's ward's Activity Day girls. I'm going to share my embarrassing moment. I was asked to conduct the music. There was NOT a piano and the opening song was one from the hymn book that I had never heard. I quickly looked up the music on my phone and hummed out the melody with the ward pianist who was there, but not able to play. It was simple enough. So after the opening prayer I stand up, hum a starting note for everyone and plow ahead following the notes and words on my phone. What I didn't realize was that the family had not printed the words to the first verse in the program, only the 2nd and 3rd. So I end up singing a somewhat solo with 60 people looking confused. They joined in on verse 2.
Our first piano recital in almost two years was a great success. Jessica was very nervous, but did great. As did Makenna and Isaac, though they have a bit more experience. We held it in the Relief Society room at church and welcomed two nonmember families. The Kadirs are a family with whom we have been spending more and more time. They do gymnastics and scouts and we have gone camping with them in Oman, scuba diving in Fujairah and now music lessons too. I recommended our piano teacher, and it has worked out well for all. Aleaha takes piano and the boys do guitar lessons.
Makenna found a bird nest with an egg and has been watching it. She came in from watering one morning quite upset. She wrote this little poem.
We have had two baptisms since this was taken. The kids gathered in to watch a church video while father and son got changed. It was about the man in Alpine who walked back and forth to Salt Lake each week to help build the temple. Makenna and I got to see his house with Emily's ward's Activity Day girls. I'm going to share my embarrassing moment. I was asked to conduct the music. There was NOT a piano and the opening song was one from the hymn book that I had never heard. I quickly looked up the music on my phone and hummed out the melody with the ward pianist who was there, but not able to play. It was simple enough. So after the opening prayer I stand up, hum a starting note for everyone and plow ahead following the notes and words on my phone. What I didn't realize was that the family had not printed the words to the first verse in the program, only the 2nd and 3rd. So I end up singing a somewhat solo with 60 people looking confused. They joined in on verse 2.
The home where the second baptism was held did have a piano and we were more successful with the chosen songs and singing several primary songs while they changed. We have one more child turning 8, but not till fall.
Our first piano recital in almost two years was a great success. Jessica was very nervous, but did great. As did Makenna and Isaac, though they have a bit more experience. We held it in the Relief Society room at church and welcomed two nonmember families. The Kadirs are a family with whom we have been spending more and more time. They do gymnastics and scouts and we have gone camping with them in Oman, scuba diving in Fujairah and now music lessons too. I recommended our piano teacher, and it has worked out well for all. Aleaha takes piano and the boys do guitar lessons.
Makenna found a bird nest with an egg and has been watching it. She came in from watering one morning quite upset. She wrote this little poem.
Since then, there have been a couple more nests and more broken eggs. The birds do not do a good job of building in safe places, especially with all the cats around. Isaac saw a bird with a gimpy wing in the backyard of the church while the YM were building something for a ward party. He was wondering if he should try to help it when a cat pounced and carried it off.
Isaac found these knock off shoes at Dragonmart. They were to be his summer trek shoes. "Adibons" became a summer joke.
Two more pictures I found. Makenna looking innocent, Jess ready for battle. And Isaac's throat.






I'm super impressed that Isaac was able to do such organized phone surgery. That's way beyond my abilities and confidence levels.
ReplyDelete