Monday, October 14, 2013

14 October 2013

The weather is cooler!  When I went to swim with Matt recently we both stepped down into the water, but hesitated a minute before diving in realizing the air temp/humidity wasn't driving us down to the chilled water.  The girls and I spent a gorgeous day at the beach Saturday.  The sand was warm, not hot.  The water was perfect, not hot or cold, just right.  There was a breeze making some waves and people were flying kites.  We stayed for 5 hours and came home pink.  It's time to stock up on sunscreen again now that it's cool enough to play outside for extended periods.  








The beach day was plan B.  A large group of families made a plan earlier in the week to go up to Musandam in Oman and go out on a Dhow (big traditional boat) together.  They cook up a big buffet on the boat and also take small groups on a speed boat to explore some caves.  Plus, it's a hot spot for dolphins.  With our big group, we had a great discount ($35 for me and $20 for the girls).  But half our group didn't send in their passport copies early enough and we didn't have a guaranteed border crossing--1/2 closed for the holiday week.  We had been approved, but several of the girls' friends were not.  Most everyone went to the beach together instead.  

Isaac did cross the border successfully and went with the scouts to Dibba.  They spent two nights and three days climbing and mountain biking.  His patrol won the food competition, but mostly we have heard about the difficulties of being a leader.  Poor guy hasn't had to work in forced group situations much and now is stuck with a truly obnoxious kid.  Matt and I have been listening with smiles, understanding his frustrations, but glad he's getting a good life experience.  

The silver lining to our Musandam trip being canceled was that we were home to greet Matt when he came home early.  Saturday was a test/no fly day.  So he went out with all his girls.  Jess asked for french braids (again).  She hasn't asked for awhile, but recently has been on a non-stop streak.  I put Makenna's hair up in a big fat bun (learned from Beccy) and they both felt fancy.  I'm glad they still want me to do their hair sometimes, but also glad they are capable on their own when we are rushed.  Guess who got a little sun at the beach?




I have been talking to more people about Kim coming for an internship.  2 good leads are still out of town for an extended Eid holiday, but I'll track them down when they come back.  

One Jess quote and then I'll take Ben's advice and just put in some pictures.  Jess asked me, "When you were little, did you just have to watch youtube in black and white?"  

Isaac for hours post camp out.  


love Dubai Martins

No comments:

Post a Comment