I remember mom saying so often that you just plan for rain
in Germany and then if it happens to be dry, enjoy the peasant surprise. It’s the polar opposite in Dubai. Sunglasses are permanently perched on my face
to combat the constant sun. You have to
plan on how to stay cool enough and hydrated.
So it’s completely baffling that we had two activities thwarted by rain
in the last week.
The first was our camping trip to Fujairah—another Emirate
on the other side of the country, a two hour drive. The scouts have another round of boys and a
few family members finishing their scuba certification and the troop planned a
campout to accompany them on their final open water dives. A bunch of others, Isaac, Makenna and me
included, were going to do a couple pleasure dives at the same time. And there was a group who were going to go
snorkeling. We left Dubai early Friday and
caravanned with about 15 SUVs and a big trailer. We set up camp in a family
camping area just across the beach road.
Indian Ocean, narrow strip of sand, two lane road, big field of dirt
with our large group, good sized hills of dirt/rock. After setting up camp and making lunch, we
learned that the coast guard had called for all boats to be pulled out of the increasingly
rough waters. Yes, it was breezy, and we
had some impressive clouds that looked a little dodgy, but we were still
surprised. The snorkeling was canceled
for the day and everyone kept their fingers crossed for the dives the next morning. What we didn’t count on was the crazy traffic
cruising up and down the road. Is there
really nothing better to do on the weekend than drive back and forth, zooming
and screeching between the frequent speed bumps? Motorcycles and four wheelers would pop
wheelies, guys would ride on the roofs of their cars or have a few people
standing up through the sunroof. It was
obnoxious, but funny. And very
LOUD. The better part was watching the,
ummm, paragliders? They had big chutes
like the ones parasailers use on their boards in the water, but they also had
big fans strapped to their backs propelling them along. There was even one skeletal dune buggy that
took flight. Campers from other groups
brought fireworks and big bursts would go off randomly. And there were lots of floating lanterns—just
like in the movie Tangled. We would love
to learn where to buy some of those.
They are so peaceful and lovely and thus, completely out of place that
night. Ha ha. Some thought the driving would last until
well after midnight, but it quieted down before that.
Scout tents
Panorama shot of the scout side of camp. Isaac's patrol had the tent on the far right.
I got Isaac's tent to myself. I took a big piece of memory foam to sleep on and it was a bit improvement over Oman.
Inside the girls' tent
Panorama of the parents and siblings.
Best shot I could get of the flying car with my phone.
We set up a car block to stop more from joining in our fun. But we had plenty to watch. The parasailers were rather a distraction while I was trying to teach a couple of first aid points.
They looked down from above, but never came down.
Makenna took this from up on the hill.
Sunrise
Breakfast
There was some lightning during the night but just a few
raindrops. In the morning, the wind had
not improved and thanks to 3m high waves, the dive was called off. Bummer.
But the girls had had fun in their own tent. I had my own right next to them and Isaac was
off with his patrol. There was a good
campfire program. It was fun to watch
Isaac being all grown up. I helped 9 boys
with a series of first class requirements.
The girls climbed all over the hills with other sibling friends. So not a wasted trip, but still everyone left
a little down and earlier than planned.
Right now I am sitting in the back seat of the car with my
legs stretched out on the consul between the front seats. The windows are cracked to take advantage of
the pleasant light breeze. It’s sunset
prayer time. There are two mosques
nearby and their songs are a little discordant.
The few lingering clouds make the sunsets pretty.
The other thing that got messed up due to weather was the
kids’ homeschool program. It was a
chance to share/perform in front of a large group. Isaac had originally passed citing too much
work already, but I think he wants to join in once a new date is set. My girls were each going to recite a
poem. I know there were science reports,
music performances, dance routines, and original writing also on the
program. There was also an area to
display art work/school projects. It was
scheduled for Thursday afternoon. About
noon with muffins baking in the oven to take, I got a phone call saying it had
to be called off because the ministry of education was closing ALL schools
early due to the impending storm—the same one that had caused big problems in
Saudi. We were meeting in a room at a
college, so we were included in the closure.
They closed the pool too so Matt couldn’t swim. He and Isaac joined me for a little run
instead and the girls biked along with us.
It did rain a bit, but not enough to even make decent puddles.
We were thrown a little off schedule with a bout of head
colds. Nothing serious, but Matt, then
Jessica, then Isaac had aches, sore throats, loss of energy. It lingered for about a week. Makenna had a touch, but it really only
lasted a day. I lucked out. Poor Jess is still coughing junk. She’s full of energy again and says it
doesn’t hurt, but it sounds terrible.
Since the presentation program was called off Thursday, her new trick is
to do a hand stand against the front door and recite all the poems she knows
upside down. She was going to do just
one with actions, but now wants to leave out the actions and just do it upside
down when it’s rescheduled. We’ll
see.
Poor sick girl
I have stayed up late a few times in the past week calling
BYU. I understand their ignorance about
our situation because before we moved here I had never envisioned a place with
a complete lack of public schools, but I feel like I have explained it so many
times to so many of them now and I’m still hitting the same road blocks. Can someone just pretend to care a
little. They could take lessons from
USAA on customer service. Here’s a quick
exchange that made me laugh. I was
trying unsuccessfully to order a midterm for Isaac online, so I had to call.
Me: I’m calling from Dubai in the UAE and need to order a
test.
Student: Okay, I can help you with that, but you’ll have to
give me a zip code or country name to look up a list of proctors.
Me: The UAE is a
country.
Student: Oh.
So besides being busy with school, Isaac went up for a board
of review and is now a Life Scout. He
will officially be awarded the rank at the December court of honor, but the
clock has now started for the 6 months of leadership required for Eagle. It is quite possible that he make finish that
my next summer. He needs to think of a
good project and start work to get it approved.
He also has to finish up Personal Fitness (1/2 way through tracking his
exercising and improvements on sit-ups, pull-ups, mile run etc.), Citizenship
in the Community, Cooking, and Camping.
They all have a lot done, just need finishing up. Cooking is going to be required starting Jan.
1, so he will need that one. But that’s one he likes.
I’m still in the car.
I have been doing this a lot. I
sit outside because the concrete steps inside are so hard. Sometimes I run to the grocery store towards
the end. I bring along a cool to try and
keep everything fresh. We started the
season with 2 days for 2 hours each, but then Makenna’s teacher begged for her
to stay an extra 30 minutes a month ago and Jessica’s teacher was happy because
he has wanted her to stay longer anyway.
But then they started prepping for this show and they were coming 3 days
a week for 3 hours and yesterday and today it’s 4 hours! The show was going to be Wednesday, but it’s
been moved to tomorrow. Yeah! They love gymnastics, but it will be a relief
to have a break over the break. In my
mind it’s still Christmas break.
Christmas décor is up in so many stores, but it’s still not a Muslim
holiday. But all the schools have a big
chunk of time off…. The girls are
performing for National Day. I will have
Isaac video it. There will be another
rhythmic performance in two weeks at the close of the season.
It’s already Thanksgiving time. Emily asked what our plans are. We are going to their friends’ house—the
Ramptons—along with about 10 other families.
It will be laid back, lots of food.
It will be nice, but we will miss family. I’m sure it’s the same for the others and that’s
why we group together.
I have spent a lot of time on Amazon doing my Christmas
shopping. What would I do without it and
an APO box?? Well, I would do what all the
real ex-pats do and spend 3x the money doing it.
Matt and I love our date nights. People finally know to not bother asking me
to do anything on Wednesday because I wouldn’t trade my date night. Even when Matt was under the weather, we went
out to an early dinner. After we ate and paid the bill, we asked if it was okay
to hang out at the table for a while—it was early by their standards and not a
weekend, so sure! We stayed talking for
an extra 1.5 hours.
Makenna and Isaac have been babysitting more. Once on the same night so Jess hung out with
Matt and I. That was a tiny glimpse of
what is approaching. It made us a little
sad. My favorite time of the day is
gathering in our room at the end of the day—bedtime rituals with tickles,
teasing, tossing kids and a few dozen “good night”s.
We may have to move house.
Our owner is wanting to sell, but is waiting to put it on the market
until they announce the host city for the World Expo 2020. We are so sick of hearing about it and seeing
it EVERYWHERE. It started over a year
ago but has been growing in intensity, until saturation. It’s on cars, billboards, radio, newspapers,
websites, store windows, back of receipts, park flags…. Maybe you get the
idea. There is much talk about housing
prices going up if they win it. It’s
going to be self-fulfilling. It will go
up because everyone expects it to. It’s
a pain for us, but life goes on. We are
more excited to hear Kim’s news. She
might get to live in two different houses with us!
At Spinney's





No comments:
Post a Comment