Much has been going on here in Dubai, but I haven't been keeping up online. Well, I guess I posted a record number of times on Facebook in a month (5 was it?), but those posts don't get slurped into blog books.
The day we got back from Thailand, I took Makenna in to the doctor at Arabian Ranches to get her ankle checked out. On our first night in Bangkok, Makenna jumped into the pool not realizing in was a bit shallow. Her foot/ankle was sore, but with an Advil in the morning, she seemed to be fine. But two weeks later when we got back, it was still hurting and was still a little swollen. The x-ray was negative for anything broken, but the doctor thought her growth plate was bruised or damaged. She gets to put some gel on it a few times a day and wear a brace for a month or two.
The next day I dropped Isaac off for a scout campout and Matt the girls and I had a pretty normal day. Fast forward to the next morning and I am awoken by a call from a mom on the campout--definitely not a good sign. Isaac had hurt his arm on shore after the first round of boating. She said the good news was that he was the only boy (besides the two whose dad's owned boats) to pass off the water sports merit badge on the first try. He was really happy about that. The bad news was that after letting him try and shrug it off the night before, it was still really painful and she was driving him home early. When he arrived he kept trying to say it's fine, it's fine, but he was pale and obviously in a lot of pain. I tried to get an appointment at the AR clinic, like we did for Makenna, but the Orthopedic doc wasn't there. So I called the clinic at the Dubai Mall instead, got an appointment for that afternoon, after Makenna's braces appointment to get tightened. The "clinic" at the mall was amazing. It's like a small hospital. Huge, clean, fast. He DID have a green stick fracture. The doctor was able to reset the bone. He got a bright blue cast.
After about a week and he was off the pain pills, he thought he could go try and play one handed basketball with some neighborhood boys. He came back limping. I banned him from everything until he has a clean bill of health. It was only a minor sprain, but he limped around for a week and could barely put on shoes.
The last picture reminded me that our main AC went out and didn't get fixed for a week. We blasted Isaac's AC and blew it into the MPR (multi-purpose-room) all day with that floor fan. It was bearable, barely. I know this is hard to grasp for those who live in places where it snows in May, but we've been over three digits since the end of April. At least all the bedrooms were cool. A lot of school got done in bedrooms that week.
There was a science fair. Isaac wasn't interested until he saw the girls' projects, then thought of what he wanted to do, but too late. Sign-ups were closed. Jess showed the effects Coke, Fanta, and water on teeth. Makenna joined with her friend and neighbor Isaabelle to show the Bouba-Kiki Effect (it's about language). It was a great day with over 30 projects to share. It was held at a local community college whose director is also a homeschool mom and while there, I think I solved the horrific BYU proctor situation!! We have a great homeschool community here.
My friend took a TON of pictures of the science fair. I'll add some later. This is the only one I have right now. Plus a few from the home set up.
I'll skip mentioning the sick germs that ran through the girls and instead brag about how great my kids were on mother's day. The actual American Sunday morning. Matt and I slept in till our mostly customary 9:30. I came down to find Snickerdoodles (my favorite), beautiful flowers, a sweet little notebook, crocheted decoration and great cards. Isaac had broken my ban on everything and rode his bike to buy flowers, with his own money. Jess had been sneaky at the mall the day before when we had gone on the great movie adventure--story to come next and bought the little notebook and Makenna had been crocheting in secret too. What sweet kids!
We made cards in Primary. This is my favorite--well, it made me laugh. I think it's really screwy following American holidays in such an international group. This is what British Jack wrote--their mother's day was in April. Love that kid.
The day we got back from Thailand, I took Makenna in to the doctor at Arabian Ranches to get her ankle checked out. On our first night in Bangkok, Makenna jumped into the pool not realizing in was a bit shallow. Her foot/ankle was sore, but with an Advil in the morning, she seemed to be fine. But two weeks later when we got back, it was still hurting and was still a little swollen. The x-ray was negative for anything broken, but the doctor thought her growth plate was bruised or damaged. She gets to put some gel on it a few times a day and wear a brace for a month or two.
The next day I dropped Isaac off for a scout campout and Matt the girls and I had a pretty normal day. Fast forward to the next morning and I am awoken by a call from a mom on the campout--definitely not a good sign. Isaac had hurt his arm on shore after the first round of boating. She said the good news was that he was the only boy (besides the two whose dad's owned boats) to pass off the water sports merit badge on the first try. He was really happy about that. The bad news was that after letting him try and shrug it off the night before, it was still really painful and she was driving him home early. When he arrived he kept trying to say it's fine, it's fine, but he was pale and obviously in a lot of pain. I tried to get an appointment at the AR clinic, like we did for Makenna, but the Orthopedic doc wasn't there. So I called the clinic at the Dubai Mall instead, got an appointment for that afternoon, after Makenna's braces appointment to get tightened. The "clinic" at the mall was amazing. It's like a small hospital. Huge, clean, fast. He DID have a green stick fracture. The doctor was able to reset the bone. He got a bright blue cast.
Girls reading in the waiting room.
Isaac trying to wait patiently after learning it's broken and waiting to be called back for resetting and casting.
Now can we go eat????
He hates having to bag it each night to shower.
After about a week and he was off the pain pills, he thought he could go try and play one handed basketball with some neighborhood boys. He came back limping. I banned him from everything until he has a clean bill of health. It was only a minor sprain, but he limped around for a week and could barely put on shoes.
The last picture reminded me that our main AC went out and didn't get fixed for a week. We blasted Isaac's AC and blew it into the MPR (multi-purpose-room) all day with that floor fan. It was bearable, barely. I know this is hard to grasp for those who live in places where it snows in May, but we've been over three digits since the end of April. At least all the bedrooms were cool. A lot of school got done in bedrooms that week.
There was a science fair. Isaac wasn't interested until he saw the girls' projects, then thought of what he wanted to do, but too late. Sign-ups were closed. Jess showed the effects Coke, Fanta, and water on teeth. Makenna joined with her friend and neighbor Isaabelle to show the Bouba-Kiki Effect (it's about language). It was a great day with over 30 projects to share. It was held at a local community college whose director is also a homeschool mom and while there, I think I solved the horrific BYU proctor situation!! We have a great homeschool community here.
My friend took a TON of pictures of the science fair. I'll add some later. This is the only one I have right now. Plus a few from the home set up.
Perfect baby tooth after 10 days in coke.
After a couple weeks in orange fanta.
So much cutting and gluing!
I'll skip mentioning the sick germs that ran through the girls and instead brag about how great my kids were on mother's day. The actual American Sunday morning. Matt and I slept in till our mostly customary 9:30. I came down to find Snickerdoodles (my favorite), beautiful flowers, a sweet little notebook, crocheted decoration and great cards. Isaac had broken my ban on everything and rode his bike to buy flowers, with his own money. Jess had been sneaky at the mall the day before when we had gone on the great movie adventure--story to come next and bought the little notebook and Makenna had been crocheting in secret too. What sweet kids!
We made cards in Primary. This is my favorite--well, it made me laugh. I think it's really screwy following American holidays in such an international group. This is what British Jack wrote--their mother's day was in April. Love that kid.




Wow, those are amazing kids.
ReplyDeleteAnd really disgusting teeth.