Photo Dump with explanations coming up:
Isaac had to have a head shot when registering for the SAT and ACT. He signed up to take them the first two weekends of December. The ACT will be at ASD in Dubai--American School of Dubai, where we meet for scouts. The SAT is in Abu Dhabi. It starts at 8 which means we will have to drive away by 6am to make sure and get him there with time to spare. He has met all or nearly all--depending on the school--of the requirements for college. Yikes! Time is really speeding up for this boy.
A Cafe Rio night.
We like to buy and try weird fruits sometimes. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are meh, sometimes disgusting. This one was okay. But it's been too long for me to remember it's name. Jess thinks it was similar in taste to Dragon Fruit.
This is inside one of the storage locker things in our garage. The water pump is responsible for giving us water and pressure in our home. It broke over a year ago and we had no water for a couple days and it was a huge pain. I took this picture because it happened to someone at work and Matt said we'd send him a picture of the pump brand we got as a replacement. I'm posting as a reminder of all the fun times that come from living with Dubai building standards.
Matt saw this DIY and wanted to try it. Peel an apple with a drill and peeler. I have a video, but can't attach it. Let's just say it was really messy and didn't work. But it made for lots of laughs.
Jess was feeling pretty good about this math assignment.
The kids took apart an old laptop. Jess saved two keys and added them to her light switch.
There is very little German influence in Dubai, but there is a sports hall next to gymnastics. I had seen posters advertising an Oktoberfest weekend. This was the view when I peeked in the window. I give them high marks for effort. I wonder how many people showed up....
There was a really good view of the ISS tonight. It was also very humid so the flash really didn't work well. (Makenna, Jess, Issy)
The next Project Runway challenge. 1st fitting. Dress made from an old sheet. Carefully shredded trash bags will be added as an overskirt.
Big hair....braided tight. I forget how long her hair is from day to day because she keeps it up it buns. When it's down for a few minutes here and there you can see how long, thick, and healthy it is!
Isaac and Makenna got new ski coats last winter. Jess wore Isaac's old one from Aldi. It won't work this year. She wanted fur and hoped for green. --We found one!
A new favorite appetizer/treat! Cherry tomatoes with mini mozzarella balls, basil, garlic and drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sprinkled sea salt. YUM.
I'm back from gymnastics and I'm hungry!
The latest rip. Bars used to be least favorite. Now she likes them best!
Makenna is smiling in this picture, but she did NOT love this recipe. Yes, they were beautiful apple roses, but they were a huge pain in the rear to make.
Sometimes I take pictures of window displays I love. This one made me think of a certain dyer I know.
Rough hands.
This cake was a forbidden topic for awhile, but now it's fun to laugh about. Makenna had a vision for it, but this time, it didn't work out. There was an attempt to turn it into cake balls(#2) , but in the end it got smooshed into a huge casserole dish (#3) and taken over to Allam's in hopes that starving teenage boys wouldn't be too picky.
(#3)
That same night I got to help make (and take lots of notes so I can do it myself) Mashi--a traditional Egyptian dish with rice and hollowed zucchini.
Finished product.
Dad brought home this cake as a joke. He wanted the cake, but they insisted on writing on it, so teasing ensued. She is so amused.
Makenna's first dance performance was at the Arabian Ranches golf course's 'Halloween night'. I have several videos, but only one still shot.
After her performance, we went out the the desert and met the scout troop for our first (and only, it turned out) campout of the year. It was cooling off, but still too warm to have the tent fly on top. This mellow sunrise woke me up.
Makenna's foot to show the scale of all the little critters' tracks. Some were so tiny!
We went to the Qudra Lakes. It's a nice area where they have tried to make a nature preserve. If it's going to stay nice, they have to educate and enforce litter policies. Trash piles up like Sicily..... it was a two night camp out. It was a little weird because I took Makenna one night and Jess the other. Makenna used Jessica's tent on her night. There was a lot going on that weekend including dance performance, and gymnastics competition, birthday party at Yaz, and swim team. We got it all in and I had two nights camping nights with my scout mom friends--our last camping hurrah before Michele moves.
Makenna's Katniss braid at the competition.
For a few weeks, Jess has to write 5 sentences on a topic a day. I especially liked this one.
This is what it looks like when the temperature drops down to 80. Brrr.
There is a new Brazilian Steak House in the addition in Emirates Mall. It was good, but Matt and I just can't eat enough to justify a buffet anymore. Isaac is the perfect age for it, especially with swim team. He loved it.
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!
Unlike America, you cannot find canned pumpkin at the store. You want pumpkin, buy a slab and bake it. It's very good. If you have extra, throw it in a smoothie. Yum!
We've begun luggage shopping. The kids need bigger suitcases for our winter trip.
There was a fun family day for Halloween at gymnastics. There were relay games and lots of kids wore costumes. My favorite were 3 sisters who were covered in ace bandages and fake bruises and blood. It was perfect for the occasion.
Science experiment--looking at pond water. Jess figured out how to take pictures of the slide with her phone.
We went to the Thomas's house for dinner and trick or treating. Isaac stayed home to do school. That has happened so much more since a favorite friend left for college and he started taking his 4 college classes himself.
Makenna was Modern Art. She used the colored hair chalk, lots of her make-up and splatter-painted a shirt to match.
Jessica has been planning to be a box troll ever since we saw the trailer for the movie. She made the costume herself--distressing and all. I thought the make-up turned out particularly well.
The candy sorting and trading.
Jess, Makenna, Sarah, LoLa, Issy












































No comments:
Post a Comment