The girls are both in the younger group, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't bump Makenna up to the next level. The books in the young group are too easy, but it's a big jump to the next level. Makenna's reading is improving exponentially, but I don't want to overwhelm her. Jess is not to the point of reading them alone, but she has the comprehension down if someone reads with/to her. And she just loves being included with the big kids. For the rest of the year we are meeting at parks and splitting into groups. It works great for families involved with multiple groups because you only have to drive to one place. Last month was tricky because it was still too hot to meet at a park, so the groups were at different houses, not too close by. I had to drop Isaac off 10 minutes away so he could catch a ride with a carpool. Then I had to get back home to meet the kids coming to our house.
All the books for the youngest group are series books. The plan was to introduce the kids to different series in hopes of finding one they love and want to read more of--implant the reading bug. We're starting with Henry and Mudge and Nate the Great level then moving on to the likes of Horrible Harry and Magic Tree House. Henry and Mudge was at our house for September.

For one activity, I had the kids draw pictures of their lost stuffed animals and then we took turns finding them. This is Jessica's lost sign she drew of George with a description (George is 2). It's a pretty good likeness. He is getting more loved by the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment