Friday, September 9, 2011

Where are we going?

I am avoiding playing catch up today in honor of big news, for us.  Ever since I visited Dubai with Matt, we have thought we might want to angle to go there for a year or two after Italy, or even before if we could manage it.  Matt's schedule did not look good.  Germany till Oct 22, then Sigonella for 3 months, then back to Germany for 3 months, then back to Sig for a year.  Aagh!  It's too long for a few suitcases but too short to actually arrange for a shipment.  Plus he travels free, but we have to pay for me and the kids to keep hopping around, mailing boxes to ourselves, staying unsettled. . . .  We would happily go to Dubai or Sigonella and stay for a couple of years, just pick one!  In the last few weeks more people have requested rotations to Germany and now we don't have to come back--not that we aren't enjoying it, we are just ready for a bit more stability.  (and a piano! says Isaac)

Matt just got an email from Salt Lake and forwarded it to me.  Since I read it, I have been almost useless trying to help the kids with school, so here I am typing out some thoughts to be productive and keep everyone (who reads this) up to date.  We are still going to Sigonella for 3 months as planned.  Then we are heading to Qatar.  What?!  We both thought.  It's apparently very similar to Dubai and we can have the cultural experience for the kids as planned.  We quickly did some basic internet searches and think, yes, it will work, but it's still another unknown for now.  But as Matt said, Vegas was unknown and unwanted and turned out great.  Dubai was unknown and unwanted and turned out great.  We will make this great too!  

Being in Sicily temporarily will be fine.  It will force us to take advantage of our short time and see what we can quickly, like we have been doing here.  We will get a furnished place and live simply, then ship stuff to the Middle East!  Crazy.  But it's GREAT to have a plan!  Jess will be baptized in Sicily.  Anyone who would like to come is invited.  ;-)  

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!And I hear it's pronouced "Cutter". I just told Kim and she said what you said - "What?!"
    Wow! Will there be "compounds" fully furnished for westerners just like other countries? You're lucky to go somewhere that starts with a Q. And without a U nonetheless. Kim said two girls in her freshman ward lived there. Golly that's amazing! And you get a trip to Sicily on the way. That's so awesome! Are the kids excited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so when are you in Sicily? I would love your life right now, I am sure it's CRAZY but what an adventure! Just keep rolling with it Karen. :) I hope you are well. We miss you! April

    ReplyDelete