I had to wait till I turned 12 to get my ears pierced which I thought was completely unjust. We think 8 is more appropriate--age of accountability after all. Makenna got a trip to Claire's Boutique on her birthday and was thrilled to show off to dad when he came home from work.
Jess turned out to be a LOT more tricky. We knew we couldn't do it on her birthday--everything is closed. But we couldn't find a place to do it even when things opened back up. I asked in two different jewelry specialty shops in two different malls in Sicily. Nope. A friend from church asked some of her friends (other Rugby wives). They only knew someone who would use a needle. Ummm, no thanks. Fine. We would wait till Dubai. She had already decided to be baptized there. So as we stopped in at the Mall of the Emirates and the Dubai Mall, I started asking again. Most places just said no, but one gave the essential extra info. "The only place to have your ears pierced in Dubai, is in a clinic." What??
Several days went by. I heard a few comments from Jess like, "I just couldn't play with my animals this morning because I'm too sad that I don't have my ears pierced yet." Sunday, we were walking through the Ibn Battuta Mall and I see a sign for "clinic". We decided to go check it out. It was on the absolute other end of the building. After a very long walk, we made it and happily found out that yes, clinics are the only places and yes they would be happy to help. It will only take about an hour!! Jess and I hung out while Matt took the other two to look around and kill time. Jess sat with a numbing ointment on her ears for 30 minutes before they used a contraption that looked just like the one Makenna had used on her at Claire's. 306AED later, we walked out with smiles. Since then I have been hearing things like, "I just smile inside whenever I move my hair and feel my earrings."
It took a nurse and doctor, sterile wipes, a bright light, and a hospital bed, but Jess is THRILLED.
Here are a few bonus pictures of a couple of the different halls in the Battuta Mall.
Jess turned out to be a LOT more tricky. We knew we couldn't do it on her birthday--everything is closed. But we couldn't find a place to do it even when things opened back up. I asked in two different jewelry specialty shops in two different malls in Sicily. Nope. A friend from church asked some of her friends (other Rugby wives). They only knew someone who would use a needle. Ummm, no thanks. Fine. We would wait till Dubai. She had already decided to be baptized there. So as we stopped in at the Mall of the Emirates and the Dubai Mall, I started asking again. Most places just said no, but one gave the essential extra info. "The only place to have your ears pierced in Dubai, is in a clinic." What??
Several days went by. I heard a few comments from Jess like, "I just couldn't play with my animals this morning because I'm too sad that I don't have my ears pierced yet." Sunday, we were walking through the Ibn Battuta Mall and I see a sign for "clinic". We decided to go check it out. It was on the absolute other end of the building. After a very long walk, we made it and happily found out that yes, clinics are the only places and yes they would be happy to help. It will only take about an hour!! Jess and I hung out while Matt took the other two to look around and kill time. Jess sat with a numbing ointment on her ears for 30 minutes before they used a contraption that looked just like the one Makenna had used on her at Claire's. 306AED later, we walked out with smiles. Since then I have been hearing things like, "I just smile inside whenever I move my hair and feel my earrings."
It took a nurse and doctor, sterile wipes, a bright light, and a hospital bed, but Jess is THRILLED.
Waiting for the ointment in the waiting room.
Notice all the medical jazz on the bed next to her.
One ear done. Now move the light for the other side.
One happy girl with little gold stars.
Here are a few bonus pictures of a couple of the different halls in the Battuta Mall.
India
Arabia
China
No comments:
Post a Comment