Sunday, July 8, 2012

Family Skiing

When Matt is working and we don't have other things going on, we are still doing school.  The kids have their new books and have started plugging away to get ahead for our inevitable days off when cooler weather hits.  We have had one snag with Isaac's new history course.  3 phone calls over the last week and we still can't access it online.  grrr.  We have to wait till after 4pm Monday to try again.  Bother the time zones.  I don't think he minds having one less thing right now though.  He is diving into his new BYU 9th grade English class.

I caught Jess here, in a drowsy school moment.  Is wearing the chef hat tricking her into restfulness by acting as a sleeping cap?  The sleeping cap Kim made is still worn EVERY night.  Isaac likes to try and steal it away to tease which makes Jess shriek and chase and do her best to attack him in retaliation.  We need to film their nightly bouts.


Matt and I have been highly enjoying our almost perfect record of date nights.  We usually go out every Wednesday night.  It is amazing to be able to walk out for a few/several hours and know the kids can make dinner, clean up, play or watch a movie and put themselves to bed if we aren't home by midnight.  We call and check up on them and let them know our plans, but really, isn't that great!  Sometimes it's dinner and errands.  Sometimes we add a movie (that's when it tends to be later).  We have good kids.  There was a big display of some traditional things in the Dubai mall last week (I don't know how the Hummer got a place.)  There was a hut and floor cushions, dates, tea, falcons, and a dance going on.  We stopped to watch for a bit.  It looked rather impromptu.  Someone would join in, or drop out at random.  It wasn't a complicated dance, but they were having fun.  There are drummers in the middle.

Jessica's soccer season ended in June, but I neglected to put in her pictures.  I didn't realize they were getting medals until they called us over.  Good thing I had my phone.  They really earned them those last couple of hot and humid weeks.  The kids are red faced and dripping.  Jess had a lot of fun and wants to continue in the fall.



It feels rather odd that the 4th of July has come and gone with little fanfare.  This is the first time we have lived somewhere where isn't not celebrated.  During our time in Germany we saw some of the biggest and best firework shows thanks to the huge American presence in the KMC.  The girls did the only patriotic thing.  When the kids all spent the day at our friends' house while I went to Abu Dhabi for my driver's license (I'm official now!!)  they decorated cupcakes.  The the Uzzells are a great family we met through our homeschool group.  



I'm not sure what the boys did the whole time because they weren't stopping for photo shoots.  

That was on Monday.  On Wednesday, July 4th, we all went to the dentist.  I heard groans and moans from 3 kids and one husband the night before and during the 4 hours we were there, but it was so worth it.  We aren't the greatest at keeping regular check-ups and this is a task that has been haunting and nagging my brain for far too long.  No new cavities!  Jessica's fixed teeth are doing well still.  Isaac got an old filling fixed.  Matt does have to go back to have an old crown replaced this week.  And Isaac and Makenna are going in for an orthodontic consult. . . . 

We had much more fun the next day.  We decided to bag extra ski lessons and just go as a family.  Matt is an excellent teacher and really all the kids need is practice.  So we all went Thursday afternoon for a couple hours.  I must say the set up is quite impressive.  They have made excellent use of space and have made areas for beginners and more experienced skiers.  It's an indoor ski slope in a HOT desert, but the snow was decent--certainly not the worst I have ever skied.  You can't compare it to a real mountain, but for what it is, it's amazing.  We started going half way up the ski lift several times, but after going all the way up once, we stuck to that for the rest of our time.  The kids can all get around well already.  Isaac was the most daredevil and had the most crashes.  He also is trying to skip the snowplow and go straight to parallel, on Matt's advice.  He has the leg strength to do it.  Makenna was the most cautious and stuck with dad the closest.  After 2 hours everyone's fingers were numb.  We need to either double up the gloves or add glove warmers.  And I am definitely wearing warmer socks too.  They sure keep it cold.  The first 3 pictures are from the the kids' intro/discovery lesson getting their equipment.  




On the ski lift

Makenna at the top

The kids and I at the top.  The building you can see at the bottom is the half way point for the chair lift and a little cafe.  The slope goes around it on the left and continues on to the bottom.   

There are lots of little kids who ride the sleds and play around on the fort at the bottom.  There is a toboggan run that is built along the side of the bottom half on the hill.  Somewhere they have penguins.  It is a fantastic cold get-away.  We were amazed at how many people were just riding the lift up and down.  There are lots of snow boarders too.  I'm toying with the idea of learning.  The kids can difinitely get proficiant here and then be ready when we have the opportunity for real winter skiing.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! There is a roof over your head, with lightbulbs!

    ReplyDelete