Today, Ramadan started. A month of fasting during daylight. We celebrated at church by having a potluck lunch after the meetings. I chatted with a sister who has been here for a few years and she was warning my about what you can't do during Ramadan. She told me about a sister who recently moved who got in trouble last year with a security guard at the mall because she ate a french fry off her kids' tray before getting to the screened area. No eating or drinking in public, that includes chewing gum.
The two wards are combined for the summer. At church, there are still lots of adults, but the primary has gotten tiny. My class went from 12 kids two months ago, to 4 last week, to 2 today. All the primary classes have class first and then singing and sharing time together the third hour, so I see both girls at the end. Today they were the only girls out of 7 kids. The singing leader had them sing one verse of a song together--a duet. It sounded so good. I want to have them sing more often. Isaac taught the young men's lesson today. There are three boys right now so they each have a week to teach and the leader takes the other.
I'm going to let some pictures tell the story of the rest of our week. Not pictured are a lot of swimming and another ski day--the kids are all getting so good. They are working on parallel, leaving snow plow behind.
Brian and Hilary will appreciate this next bit. We finally went to Adventure HQ to try the ropes course and climbing wall. Brian and Hilary watched people on it over lunch on the last day they were here. I take back all the snide comments I said in my head watching others in the past. It is a lot higher, trickier and scarier than it looks. And the climbing wall is a serious workout. Jess wasn't quite tall enough for the ropes course. She needs another 5 cm. But she loved the wall. She liked swinging down the best. Isaac, Makenna and I each did the ropes course twice and spent the rest of our time on the wall. We had 2 for 1 coupons for 30 minute sessions. 30 minutes rather wore us out. The kids are excited to go again. Jess wants to live in Dubai long enough to grow 5 cm.
The girls made a Mexican dish for their Thursday meal. It was very tasty again. Isaac is finishing the leftovers as I type.
The two wards are combined for the summer. At church, there are still lots of adults, but the primary has gotten tiny. My class went from 12 kids two months ago, to 4 last week, to 2 today. All the primary classes have class first and then singing and sharing time together the third hour, so I see both girls at the end. Today they were the only girls out of 7 kids. The singing leader had them sing one verse of a song together--a duet. It sounded so good. I want to have them sing more often. Isaac taught the young men's lesson today. There are three boys right now so they each have a week to teach and the leader takes the other.
I'm going to let some pictures tell the story of the rest of our week. Not pictured are a lot of swimming and another ski day--the kids are all getting so good. They are working on parallel, leaving snow plow behind.
We are at Emirates Mall. Jessica's favorite place to eat is called Beirut. She loves the shwarma special and the fresh hot tandoor bread. It is VERY tasty.
A sign a found on the girls' bathroom.
The girls are checking out the pictures from their dinner last week.
Isaac did a science experiment to test how cleansers break down proteins
(jell-o). And he is thrilled that I am documenting it with the camera.
After a couple hours, the jell-o was cracking between the wells and being eaten away. It was interesting, but gross.
Makenna loves making the scarf with the materials sent by grandma Chris. I got a bit carried away with the awesome yarn in Sicily and make a couple dozen. I'm glad to share the "obsession" with my daughter now!
This jump (Makenna) was the most scary. You know you are totally hooked in and safe, but it's a long way down.
Isaac making the leap.
Isaac, me, and Jess coming down.
Jess and Isaac
Makenna on the left, Isaac on the right.
This was my last time. I made myself jump without hanging onto the rope. I had to do a big pep talk first.
After we took off our gear, we cooled down in the chiller room. They have it so people can test their parkas, but most climbers go in after their workouts too.
We popped into a tent for fun.
The girls made a Mexican dish for their Thursday meal. It was very tasty again. Isaac is finishing the leftovers as I type.


















No comments:
Post a Comment