We got treats from Kim! We got a package ages ago from Brian and Hilary (super clever missionary Christmas tree!) to send on to Sister Webb and we added a bunch of things from us as well. We were trying to cover Halloween, birthday, useful things, and Christmas in one fell swoop. I felt a little bad when dropping off a big fat shopping bag to my friend to pack in her suitcase, but she fit it all in and then upon her return brought some Ukrainian things with stickie notes from Kim as well. We had fun looking at familiar things like Snickers and Kinder Eggs with Cyrillic letters on them. She challenged us to follow the Ukrainian instructions for making Kiwi jello, or using Russian if we got stuck. I think we will cheat and have my friend Marina Marchenko help us.
I was hoping by this time to have a long Nepal post, but that hasn't happened. Isaac wants to do the trip justice and do one day at a time. He is supposed to finish day one today. I just worry he will forget interesting details if too much time passes. When he first got home, he spent the better part of two days sleeping. The combination of scouts, traveling and teenagehood is just exhausting. He did pass out some souvenirs Makenna got a beautiful scarf, I got warm cozy slippers made from yak wool, Jess got a Batman shirt--from Nepal!--and Matt a set of playing cards with beautiful scenery images on them. My favorite post-Nepal moment was when Isaac taught the girls the card game B.S. (Bein' Sneaky) and we tried to play with Matt's new cards. After a few rounds, it was becoming increasingly obvious that something was up with the deck. "B.S. You can't put down a three, I have all four." "It IS a three!" "I have two king of hearts." "I have one too!" We stopped the game and organized the cards by suite. There were only two spades, but 22 hearts! Ha ha. There were many repeats and others completely missing. Best souvenir deck ever!
In looking at Isaac's pictures, I realized that Nepal is much greener than I imagined. There are more monkeys in Katmandu than I thought too. The poverty in the cities was rather as expected. I have gotten two nice emails from other parents who went on the trip complimenting Isaac on being "an outstanding young man" and "so independent and responsible". Awfully nice things to hear. As he continues to babysit more, I have been getting more compliments about him at church as well.
Matt had an odd semi-flashback last week. They were doing drills at work and the loud speaker/siren went off warning everyone to take immidiate cover. It was an all too familiar sound for him, but one he hadn't heard for a few years. But some thing was missing. It took a minute to realize that it was the explosions. Almost every time he heard it in Iraq, it was accompanied by the sounds and sometimes concussion waves of mortars exploding. As he very calmly told this story a few nights ago, I was incredibly grateful to be living altogether somewhere completely safe. Unless L3 really changes it's plan, he won't be deploying at all while here. I'm so grateful.
One more piece of Isaac news. He finally got his grade back for his first portfolio for 9th grade with English BYU independent study. It represents 30% of his grade and he's been rather nervous--first time submitting anything. He got 100%!
Makenna is doing well also. Her writing is vastly improving! She is still busy with school and her other activities including our weekly swim team, horseback riding lessons, gymnastics and craft class. I have talked her into singing a little solo for the primary program! She and Jess have been rollerblading in the evening more often. Isaac can't join them because he has outgrown his (they are now Makenna's and Jess has Makenna's old ones.) She is planning on hosting a late over this Friday after craft class.
Jess lost another tooth. With her permission, I'm including the notes she left for the tooth fairy. She wrote one big and one small, just in case the tooth fairy is tiny and can't read big writing well.
I was hoping by this time to have a long Nepal post, but that hasn't happened. Isaac wants to do the trip justice and do one day at a time. He is supposed to finish day one today. I just worry he will forget interesting details if too much time passes. When he first got home, he spent the better part of two days sleeping. The combination of scouts, traveling and teenagehood is just exhausting. He did pass out some souvenirs Makenna got a beautiful scarf, I got warm cozy slippers made from yak wool, Jess got a Batman shirt--from Nepal!--and Matt a set of playing cards with beautiful scenery images on them. My favorite post-Nepal moment was when Isaac taught the girls the card game B.S. (Bein' Sneaky) and we tried to play with Matt's new cards. After a few rounds, it was becoming increasingly obvious that something was up with the deck. "B.S. You can't put down a three, I have all four." "It IS a three!" "I have two king of hearts." "I have one too!" We stopped the game and organized the cards by suite. There were only two spades, but 22 hearts! Ha ha. There were many repeats and others completely missing. Best souvenir deck ever!
In looking at Isaac's pictures, I realized that Nepal is much greener than I imagined. There are more monkeys in Katmandu than I thought too. The poverty in the cities was rather as expected. I have gotten two nice emails from other parents who went on the trip complimenting Isaac on being "an outstanding young man" and "so independent and responsible". Awfully nice things to hear. As he continues to babysit more, I have been getting more compliments about him at church as well.
Isaac and I went on a bike ride yesterday with the scouts. It was 3 laps of a 8km course. Years ago it used to be a camel racecourse, but has been paved over since June. It was nice to be on a bike again, but I'm feeling a little saddle sore today. There are options to do 4 or 6km loops as well. There were a few casual bikers that we passed, but mostly we got blown by as serious cyclists sped past. We weren't out for leisurely rides, so they were really moving. It's a great course, just for bikes, and well lit at night. Yes, it's November, and yes, it's the highs are still in the 90's.
Jess was in charge of FHE last week. She gave a lesson about getting closer to God and then we played a game she made up. There was a board and we moved our paper squares forward when we answered correctly. There were questions like these: "If we all want pigtails at once, should we we kick each other or take turns?" "If one cupcake has sprinkles on it and the others are plain, should we punch each other for the sprinkles, or share it?" "If there are two big pillows but one doesn't have enough fluff, should we fight over the fluffy pillow or take turns?" We were all laughing so hard. The best was the question about "the blood seat". I didn't know there is still a blood stain on the seat in the back of Matt's work car from Jessica's teeth accident. Matt informed me that they DO fight over who has to sit in it. They call it "the blood seat".
A sister I visit teach had her baby via C-section almost 2 weeks ago. I brought over dinner a week ago, not bringing kids, but when I got there both she and her husband asked where are your girls? So when I went back yesterday, I let the girls come. They were in ecstasy over how tiny and cute she was, her soft thick hair, her tiny little fingernails. Their eyes were glued to her for over an hour watching every little twitch, yawn, grimace, smile, and sigh. During the visit a diaper change was necessay. Sister Gerra put the the rather baggy newborn onsie back on with ease and as she was doing up the snaps, Jess commented, impressed, "I always have trouble with those." You see George has several different shirts (onsies) to wear with the overalls and pants grandma Terry made. I caught myself in a snort as I tried not to laugh at Jess commiserating over the difficulties in dressing monkeys and babies.
One more piece of Isaac news. He finally got his grade back for his first portfolio for 9th grade with English BYU independent study. It represents 30% of his grade and he's been rather nervous--first time submitting anything. He got 100%!
Makenna is doing well also. Her writing is vastly improving! She is still busy with school and her other activities including our weekly swim team, horseback riding lessons, gymnastics and craft class. I have talked her into singing a little solo for the primary program! She and Jess have been rollerblading in the evening more often. Isaac can't join them because he has outgrown his (they are now Makenna's and Jess has Makenna's old ones.) She is planning on hosting a late over this Friday after craft class.
Jess lost another tooth. With her permission, I'm including the notes she left for the tooth fairy. She wrote one big and one small, just in case the tooth fairy is tiny and can't read big writing well.



No comments:
Post a Comment