Saturday, July 5, 2014

1st week of July

I'm going to do a photo dump from my phone to help me remember what we have been up to the past couple of weeks.

This picture doesn't help though.  I think it's a cute shot of Jess, but I don't know where it was taken.  We are not home, but it looks like Matt has his swimsuit on....

Makenna wanted to capture the zentangle window display.  She approved. 

At the last dinner party at Kadir's before the summer exodus began, Makenna had fun playing with my hair.  

Later, I put hers in a fishtail braid and then Glenda made it extra fancy.  


The kids LOVE these bath mats at Ikea.  Makenna would like to play at being the Princess and the Pea and sleep on a whole pile of bathmats rather than mattresses.  

Jess spent a day at the beach with the remaining Kadir and Allam kids.  This is her before being picked up.

We went to a trampoline place that just opened with the homeschool group.  It was a little lame because they were stuck with a guide, but we are going again this week, unguided and hope it's better.   Does this video work?  Makenna is in yellow and Isaac in grey.

In an effort to stay warm this December, Jess knitted a seriously thick and long scarf.  

It is taller than she is. 


She also knitted a hat and a matching hat and scarf for George.  

What do you mean I need to clean my room?

Taken after she took out a princess braid.  It's so FLUFFY!

Yes, she has a brush for George too.  

Makenna made this skirt for Jess last year, but she grew taller.  We bought some black lace to extend its length and life. 

This picture does not do the situation justice.  There much much honking and hand waving and gnashing of teeth.  It doesn't happen everyday, but it is not unusual to see this kind of "me first" mentality.  This is the entrance/exit to a grocery store parking lot.  It's on the narrow side with one lane going in and one out, but the out people are clogging both sides, coming from three different parking aisles, meanwhile there are people trying to come in.  They are all blocking each other and no one wanted to lose face or ground by backing up.  I wasn't in a hurry (girls were at gymnastics), so I just relaxed and laughed at them get their panties in a twist. 

Ramadan has started.  There is no music on at the gym during the day = more lame than I expected.  I was very sneaky with my water bottle until I saw three other folk, all of whom looked to be from the region, drinking openly, and then I was less worried, but still not flaunting.  The girls and I were invited to our Syrian friends' house for Iftar last Thursday.  Matt had his first "red 8" of the year, meaning he had to work one of his off days to cover for someone on vacation, on the same day, so it worked out that I went along with the girls.  There were 5 moms and over a dozen girls ranging in age from 10-15.  At the the beginning, those who were fasting went into a back room to pray.  But other than that, it was a long nice dinner party with festive decorations.  We tried several new foods and enjoyed great company.  The girls were already worn out before heading over.  They had had a playdate with two sisters from 9am till 2:30, including time in the pool and then gymnastics for 2 1/2 hours.  We got to the dinner at 7 planning on leaving by ten or when they were too tired, whichever came first.  I finally pulled them away at 11!  
Lamb and seasoned rice.  Stuffed eggplants and zucchini.

I'm going to have to ask Lena the names of some of these again.  The one on bottom left is unique to not only Syria, but her town.  It's flat bread with meat baked on top.  There was also a lentil soup and yogurt sauce and lots of desserts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment