During the month of Ramadan, Muslim people fast during the daylight hours. No eating or drinking or chewing of gum is allowed in public. At sundown, there is great haste to eat. We witnessed that in the food court at Emirates Mall two years ago trying to eat after the kids were starving and worm out after 3 hours of skiing. We meant to, but never went to a traditional Iftar that summer. This year we did it.
The girls and I got our first invitation from our friends from Syria. Isaac was not invited--girls only means the normally covered Muslim women could let their hair down, literally. It was a lovely night and we learned quite a bit. You start by breaking your fast with a couple dates and some water. Then you go pray. Then the big meal begins. Lentil soup is traditional followed by lots and lots of dishes.
We wanted Isaac to be able to go to an Iftar too, especially since he LOVES buffets and is at the age where they are a cost positive for us. We went one evening to a place called Mashawi. Restaurants have very limited hours during Ramadan. Basically they serve food for 2 hours a day. I'm sure they have workers prepping and cooking the food for a couple hours beforehand, but they can only serve starting at sundown and then after a mad rush--reservations required--everyone is done eating and goes home. I wonder if they just have to expect to lose money during Ramadan? Since we weren't arriving starving, we got there a little late, and the place was PACKED except for our little table. But it's a buffet and there was plenty of food. Here is where I am so grateful for brave experimental eaters. There were many things they had never tried before They all started with lots of tiny servings to see what they liked and didn't and then went back for more and more. They liked most everything because the food might look different, but is really good. Once they were pretty full, I said go check out the dessert table. It had lots of beautiful fresh fruit and lots of arabic sweets. They all have favorites from when we went out to Bab al Shams with my mom. They all went home completely stuffed. We were some of the last ones still in the building.
The girls and I got our first invitation from our friends from Syria. Isaac was not invited--girls only means the normally covered Muslim women could let their hair down, literally. It was a lovely night and we learned quite a bit. You start by breaking your fast with a couple dates and some water. Then you go pray. Then the big meal begins. Lentil soup is traditional followed by lots and lots of dishes.
We wanted Isaac to be able to go to an Iftar too, especially since he LOVES buffets and is at the age where they are a cost positive for us. We went one evening to a place called Mashawi. Restaurants have very limited hours during Ramadan. Basically they serve food for 2 hours a day. I'm sure they have workers prepping and cooking the food for a couple hours beforehand, but they can only serve starting at sundown and then after a mad rush--reservations required--everyone is done eating and goes home. I wonder if they just have to expect to lose money during Ramadan? Since we weren't arriving starving, we got there a little late, and the place was PACKED except for our little table. But it's a buffet and there was plenty of food. Here is where I am so grateful for brave experimental eaters. There were many things they had never tried before They all started with lots of tiny servings to see what they liked and didn't and then went back for more and more. They liked most everything because the food might look different, but is really good. Once they were pretty full, I said go check out the dessert table. It had lots of beautiful fresh fruit and lots of arabic sweets. They all have favorites from when we went out to Bab al Shams with my mom. They all went home completely stuffed. We were some of the last ones still in the building.
mmmm, Lentil soup.
My plate as a visual sampling.
Makenna made a scrunchie to match her PJ pants and made an outfit. It was a little wild, but fits right in here with all kind of different traditional clothes. She looked quite cute.
I caught her mid bite.
Some of the desserts.
Isaac's "I'm so full but must eat more" face.







No comments:
Post a Comment