Monday, April 5, 2010

2010 SHAC Triathlon


This year we had someone in every race.  I did the Sprint, Isaac did the beginner adult, Makenna did the kids' sprint (longer than last year) and Jess did the kids' beginner.  Matt was going to compete too, but since the City Center project started, he hasn't been able to swim or bike at all.  So he became the essential crew making sure everyone and their stuff was in the right place at the right time.  Wow.  Huge job considering all the races overlapped.  Isaac started swimming while I was still on my bike.  I did see him finish though. He killed his old time.  Swim team last summer helped cut his swim time in half.  A working bike hugely improved his bike time and all the sprints and running in football improved his run.  He took 2nd in his age group, only 1:09 behind the leader who could have been up to 3 years older.  Isaac was faster on the swim and run.  If he spends more time riding, he'll easily take 1st.  He was 14th overall for men, and most of those really were men; it was an adult race!  These are some shots David took of Isaac.  David finished his Sprint race before any of us and was kind to play event photographer for us. 

Starting the run.  

This series of pictures makes me laugh.  Isaac passes this lady who looks pretty surprised to be passed up by this fast kid.  



See her laughing in the background?


Makenna was the next up.  She had competed last year, but was doubling her distances for this year.  She really hustled and was completely spent at the end.  I'm so proud of my kids for learning how to work hard and push through to the end.  I didn't figure that out until a few years ago.  Sports are great to teach life lessons.  

Here she is saying, "I know what to do, mom."

And she's off!

1st lap crawl.

2nd lap backstroke.

She's out. . . 

and off to get her bike.

We don't have a bike picture of Makenna, but here she is running fast.  

Jess started after Makenna, but because Makenna's route was longer, they ended about the same time.  


Here is a picture of Jess while she was waiting for her turn.  There were lots of kids she knew from our ward who competed with her--all the kids grouped around her.  (Makenna needs to recruit some friends to try the longer distance for next year.)

We don't have a picture of Jess in the water, but she did just fine.  I was waiting outside at the door to run with her to her bike and help with her transition.  It was a chilly morning and the kids were all freezing coming outside dripping wet.  Matt helped towel Isaac and Makenna, I helped Jess.  Then she was off on her bike for a mile ride. 

Last was her 1/2 mile run.  There she is heading up the hill.  

She was tired out at the end too.  It was a hard thing for a 6 year old to do.
She was so proud to finish and get her medal.  That's a medal she worked hard for and really felt that she earned.  

Here are the Martin triathletes of the day.  This is too soon after the girls finished and they are too tired to smile.  I was the only one who didn't get a medal.  I even cut time off from last year, but the competition is getting harder because I placed 5th.  Isaac is holding his gift certificate he got for 2nd.  

The medal winners with their shirts!  This is after lunch and a 2 hour nap on the way back home.  Everyone is feeling good now. 
(and Jess has the long awaited rubber snake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment