I got to go with Makenna and half the Activity Day girls to see Willy Wonka at an outdoor theater Wednesday night. She was so excited and changed her clothes about 4 times. She kept dressing up fancier, but I kept encouraging her to simplify, reminding her it was an outdoor theater and would get chilly when the sun went down. She ended up going with a jean skirt, black leggings, black t-shirt with a white sweater wrap.
We left at 4 to drive out there and "pay our way". They are a non-profit theater and let volunteers come to help fold programs, hand out programs, sell concessions, chair rentals, direct the crowd and then they get to watch for free--not to mention set up their blankets 2 hours early and get prime seats. The girls were all happy and helpful. I think it made the play even more fun to have "worked' for it than it would have been just showing up for the performance. It certainly made it possible. It would have cost over $500 to send 32 girls, their leaders and a few parent helpers. That's sure not in the budget!
Knowing it was a community theater (non-paid actors) I wasn't expecting much, but I was blown away. It was so well done. Creative set, great singers, amazing dancers--Makenna has been doing elements of the oompa-loompa dance all day. Another mom who has been several times before over the years said it is always like this. There is a great pool of talent in this town. They are doing Annie next June, can't wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment