Monday, May 14, 2012

A Letter to Kim

I am pasting in most of an email written to Missionary Kim after we failed to participate in her Mother's Day video chat.  I want to share the kids' comments and questions.

After I finish typing this, I'm going to look up Skype and see how to get ourselves in on the game.  We have been content with google's video chat and just haven't bothered. I'm really sorry we couldn't better participate in your call/video.  It was still fun to see and hear you, even if you couldn't see us.  Emily is right about your teeth.  They are sparkling white!  You look happy and healthy which are both wonderful things.  Checking off Mother's Day is a big bench mark for missions, I understand.  You only have three more "phone calls"  till you are on your way home!  Then you can come visit us!  Do you think we will still be here?  I do, but I am not willing to bet on it.  

Life here is good but hot.  It is officially summer.  Running on the beach in the morning is over.  I have switched to night running.  Sure it's still warmer than body temp, but at least the sun isn't beating down on you.  I have reached new levels of sweatiness.  Last time after I came in, the kids asked if I had jumped in the pool after to cool off.  Nope.  And after that it would be really awesome to take a cool if not cold shower, but the best you can do is luke warm.  This all sounds like I am doing lots of running, really I have been a slacker and have missed whole weeks, not just days.  

Yesterday at church Isaac gave the youth talk (second Mother's Day in a row).  Makenna gave a talk in Primary, Jess was asked to bear her testimony in Primary (after the junior primary speaker was WOL) and will be giving a talk next week.  I had 9 kids in my primary class.  I used 6 phrases in German for Lucas, including "Setzt dich"  and "Wer ist das?"  I wish I knew some applicable ones in Russian too, but Nikita is actually picking up English fast.  Tessa, my little girl with Down Syndrome, found my iPhone and was completely focused for all of singing time and sharing time.  Amazing how she can navigate with complete ease.

Jess would like to tell you:  "You have to water the grass and there is no sprinkler.  We just use the hose.  I get more wet than the grass. Or maybe it's the same.  I don't like the visa runs, but they are stopped now.  I am not looking forward to the heat everyone has been talking about.  I would rather be in a place with less Arabic.  Lots of people have their own pool in the backyard.  We don't, but there is one across the street.  There's lots of malls and I can do more heeling (heely shoes).  You can't steal the carts.  If you want one, you have to put a dirham in it.  Good luck speaking Ukraine."  

Makenna would like to say: "Is it freezing in the Ukraine?  Here it's hot.  But that's okay because it's an excuse to go to the pool more.  We have to water the grass every night when it's cooler so we don't burn the grass.  The beaches are great.  Last time we went the water was beautiful and clear.  We saw fish, but no jellyfish, like we do sometimes.  Most of the sand is burning hot.  When we first got here, we would take off our shoes to feel the softness, but now we leave them on to stop them from bleeding from the burningness.  Once you get to the water it's okay though.  I have been taking horseback riding lessons and it's super fun.  I have two more lessons.  Today I started a knitting class with my two friends Kate and Maggie.  We know ANOTHER 9 year old Kate--that makes 3!  Want me to knit you a hat?  Is it still snowing there?  I hope you have a good companion.

-Jess interruption.  "I'm wearing your sleeping cap that you made me right now."   (She wears it EVERY night.)  

Isaac: I finally have a regular schedule.  I'm booked 6 days a week.  I am doing kickboxing 3 days a week, church activities one day, scouts one day and actual church one day.  Sometimes there are firesides Friday night.  Kickboxing is awesome.  We have a previous Asian champion as the coach.  Saturday is my only free day.  Scouts is really cool .  There are like 60 boys in the troop.  Last Spring break they went to the Himalayans.  Sorry we missed your video chat today.  Hope to chat with you at Christmas.  By then, we'll have a skype account.  Hope you are doing well in the Ukraine."

I'm going to sign off now.  Matt is home and we are going to have family prayer before bed. 11pm, way past missionary bedtime.  

love you lots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment