Monday, January 4, 2010

Jessica is 6!

It is official. She has been practicing being six for awhile now, writing it in conjunction with 5 on all her school work and water bottles. "Jessica 5 6." But now it's just Jessica 6 or J 6 or sometimes Jessica Martin 6.

Her birthday started a little late in the morning, for which I was grateful. I didn't think they would make it, but the kids stayed up till midnight. Matt zonked out around 10 after far too many late nights and early mornings. (He has been getting up before 6 and working 12+ hour days since before Thanksgiving, but recently he has been staying up extra at home changing out all our light switches room by room. I have been helping when I can holding the flashlight in the dark and running back and forth from the power box to throw switches. He is more than 1/2 done with the house and has done some really cool stuff, but more on that later.) In order to let Matt sleep and keep the kids relatively quiet, I put on a movie. Isaac is always suspicious when I pick, "not another musical!" But this time, they all found a new favorite. I put on Better Off Dead and just skipped one scene. They were all close to tears a few times laughing so hard and they have been quoting it ever since. It ended right at midnight so we watched the firework display from the strip on the local news. Wow. I would say it would be neat to watch it in person, but driving away afterward would be nigh unto impossible. So we watched the fireworks on TV, sang Happy Birthday to Jessica and sent them to bed. By 1:30 I was done decorating and was in bed by 2.


Jess came down on New Years to find lots of balloons all over in groups of 6 and her own George mask to wear. She wore it solid until breakfast (around 10am!!) and found she couldn't eat. She had Pillsbury Cinnamon and Orange Rolls for breakfast (despite Isaac campaigning hard to change her mind to homemade.) And for her fun activity, she wanted to go rollerskating.

This time Matt got to come too. I think he acclamated to skates a lot faster than me, despite the fact that it has probably been longer since he wore them.


The girls both took turns skating with their dad.


Jess started out doing lots of laps on the carpet, but advanced to the floor with much more confidence.


When I skated with her, she didn't want to hold hands--I can do it myself! Mom's hand makes you feel too young, but you are never too old for daddy's.



Makenna and Isaac were better too. They started working on speed, not just staying vertical.




Jess wanted to go to "the Burnt Olives" for dinner. That means the Olive Garden. We couldn't figure out why really because she wanted chicken nuggets. That was until she put away 4!! bread-sticks before her dinner came. She loves their bread-sticks. Hmm. During the first 30 minutes we were there, someone else was sung the birthday song. She thought it was neat that someone else had the same birthday and her eyes lit up with the possibility of them singing to her. Sure enough, after the dinner dishes were cleared away, a bunch of singing waiters came and gave her a cake with a candle and she was all smiles. She cut it up to share herself and loved it! But before we left, 2 other people got sung to. The last time she had a look of utter disgust. She didn't want to share with THAT many people.


Back at home she opened presents.


Her own scooter! It immediately was put through its paces around the kitchen and hall.


She also got some monkey washcloths and a "Junior George". This is what she told me yesterday. "George and me got married and we had a baby. Of course it was a monkey. We named it Junior George. So now I'm a mom and you are the grandma!"



Riding her scooter with a group of 6 balloons. Notice Junior George in her pocket. She tried riding with her mask on too, but crashed.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! She's so cute! I'm glad she had such a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete