We had round one and round two of Matt's birthday. We had some good family time on his days off, just before his birthday starting with another try at 4-wheeling in the desert. Last year we went in May and, while fun, it was TOO HOT. We have let the winter slip by without going, but determined to try it again before we lost more time. As per Murphy's Law, there was a heat wave that day, just for us! But it was still cooler than last time. We came prepared with camelbacks and bike gloves. The important lessons learned this time are don't go slow up hills, don't stop on a hill facing upwards, and always wear eye protection. Unfortunately we don't have a video, because the GoPro was still on take-a-picture-every-few-seconds mode. Yes, that's one of the official factory settings. So I skimmed through the hundreds of shots and picked a few to include. It didn't seem a fitting birthday outing for Matt because he had to work so hard to lift the ATV's out of the sand they (mostly Jess) would get stuck in. If he had the "do something Hard on your birthday" goal, then mission accomplished. We got home and jumped in the pool and shook all our clothes out as best we could. I had sand in every pocket and crevice from being showered with the stuff while lifting Jessica out, but he preformed MANY more rescues than I.
The next day, we made gourmet burgers and I attempted his traditional cake. A couple ingredients were a little different. I kept thinking about the last time when the mousse was too soft and didn't hold it's shape, so in the attempt to make it more stiff, I over did it and made it more like chocolate jello than mousse. sigh. My sweet husband was completely kind about it though, complementing the effort while nibbling the results. We tried to make it up on his official birthday by surprising him with our first attempt at making The Cheesecake Factory's Original Cheesecake. It was a decent first run. Certainly better than the igloo cake.
I have already forgotten what sparked this round of teasing, but I caught the boys' special moment on camera. Happy Birthday, Daddy Matt. We love you.
The next day, we made gourmet burgers and I attempted his traditional cake. A couple ingredients were a little different. I kept thinking about the last time when the mousse was too soft and didn't hold it's shape, so in the attempt to make it more stiff, I over did it and made it more like chocolate jello than mousse. sigh. My sweet husband was completely kind about it though, complementing the effort while nibbling the results. We tried to make it up on his official birthday by surprising him with our first attempt at making The Cheesecake Factory's Original Cheesecake. It was a decent first run. Certainly better than the igloo cake.
I have already forgotten what sparked this round of teasing, but I caught the boys' special moment on camera. Happy Birthday, Daddy Matt. We love you.

No comments:
Post a Comment