Monday, October 12, 2015

Downhill Mountain Biking--July 24, 2015

While David and Ben were in Colorado, there was much gaming.  Age of Empires could be played by 4 at a time.  Usually it was Ben, David, Isaac and Makenna, but I took a couple turns too.  Jess knows the game, but really doesn't like sending her soldiers to battle.  She is the best at community building and collecting resources, but don't ask her to fight!

The second most popular thing was mountain biking.  David and Isaac went on a couple trial rides--David brought his bike and Isaac rode grandpa's.  Then one day we rented 4 more and with the help of grandma and grandpa driving cars packed with 6 bikes and 8 people, we drove up a mountain.  We were worried we would be too hot and brought plenty of water, but it turned out to be an overcast, cool day.   I took most of the following pictures, but there were several (especially the ones of me) I took off Jessica's phone.



Looking down from our first stop.  We decided to drive a bit further to extend the ride. 

I bet she has a picture of me taking a picture of her too.





Found on Jessica's phone.  

This is where the cars left us.  Our task was to ride down the mountain and meet them at the park near the German Bakery for a picnic. Bott Park, I think.  It was nearly all downhill, but it got tricky in the loose dirt/small rocks/big rocks.  We all had many skids, but very few crashes.  We used our brakes a lot to keep our speeds under control.  It was not Ben's favorite thing.  He would have traded a bigger leg workout for more control and less bumps.  Jess was worried it would be too long (20 miles) but she did great.  Bonus was the natural beauty.  I couldn't help taking a bunch of pictures to take home to the desert.  Ben told me I take almost as many pictures as Hilary.  ;-)  I guess I'll have to try harder.
I think every sign we passed was all shot up.  













Going off the maintained dirt road.






He found a jousting stick.





Mermaid rock

There were a couple tunnels we had to ride through.  It was creepy.  You could always see the light at the end, but you COULD NOT see the ground or anything around.  I just tried to ride straight and hoped I wasn't going to ride into a hole or rock or puddle.  Drips did fall from above, but no calamities occurred.  Do you ride fast get it over with or slow and careful?  We went single file since we couldn't see each other in the middle and wanted to avoid crashing into each other.   


I have a video of us crossing a stream with our bikes, but I don't have still shots.  


We got to the parking area for the 7 Bridges hike.  At this point we were on real roads and had to play defense against real cars.  Luckily, there wasn't much traffic.  

We got to the park and pigged out on brotchen. flower shaped salami, grapes, chips, cookies, and all the other great picnic fare.  Most of us repacked the cars full of bikes and drove away, but Isaac and David rode another 10 miles or so all the way home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment