Sunday, September 13, 2009

sports and more sports

This was the week of sports. Isaac started football a few weeks ago. He has been begging to try for a couple years, and after the flag football flop last spring, we are trying it. He practices Tuesday and Thursday nights for 2 1/2 hours each and on Saturdays for another 3+. Matt usually takes him. This week the girls also started soccer. They both have the same coach. Makenna had him last spring and we really liked him. The bonus is that he has a daughter Jessica's age too, so they have practice back to back: Thursdays at 6 and 7. One less day of travel. And yesterday was my race. My mom and Kim drove down to watch and to see the kids, of course. But I think Matt spent more time with them than me as I had to leave 1/2 hour after they got here to go check in for the race and spend the night there so we can set up at the transition area by 5:30 am.

It was great fun to go with so many friends. This was my 6th race with Lorna (red do-rag). I am really glad we rode the new bike route a couple of times and knew what to expect--hard. I just wish I had prepped better for the run. The 4 miles in the desert were very hilly and hot. And when you got back to pavement the volunteers were all saying just a little over a mile to go, but they kept saying that that for over a mile and the end was still not in sight. It was a hard race, but very satisfying to finish. My hair has never felt so gross as it did post race (in that picture). The lake swim, bike helmet and sweat made a nasty mess. My time for the swim was a little slower than last year despite feeling much more confident in the open water. I think it was just such a relief to swim in calm water after the Labor Day lake swim scare. (It was extra choppy from boats and wind and I spent a couple of scary minutes far from shore.) Yesterday the water was smooth and 85 degrees and just lovely. Matt and the kids were at the end to congratulate, but not hug.

Isaac: Did you dump a water bottle on your head?
me: Umm, no. Why?

The kids had a blast with Kim and Grandma. The girls are currently driving me close to crazy with a their own version of a chant they learned off a Youtube video. (Thanks Kim. sigh) It goes something like this, "George, george, george, JESSICA Makenna george george JESSICA Makenna IsaacIsaacIsaac JESSICA" Bonus points to anyone who can figure out the inspiration.

Now the kids' sports continue, but I need a new inspiration to keep working. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I would have loved to watch also. I'm tentatively thinking about a half in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture was POST race? If I had thought hard enough I would have realized that for it to be pre-race it would have been dark....but you guys look like you're ready to start another triathalon. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete