Friday, July 1, 2011

Show and Tell

I arrived back in the states, but still had two more flights to get back to Denver.  But in DC I did see a chunk of the Chinese Olympic team going through customs.  At least that's what their warm-up suits said and one girl especially looked like Yao Ming's twin sister in size.

Just my mom picked me up.  The kids were at a pool with Kim and Ben.  They didn't get back till I had been back over and hour and even started a load of wash.  When they pulled in, I went to the door and they started running to give hugs until they saw my henna decorated arm and stopped dead.  That was exactly the reaction Matt was hoping for.  As I type this two weeks later, my arm art is completely gone and most of my leg too.

I pulled out some of the treasures I brought back.  Jess immediately put on all the items of clothing at once.  She is wearing her own head scarf, a silk dress-up/nightgown, her jingly belly dancing sash and the necklace given to me by the Bastakiya Dubai guys.  Makenna got into the belly dancing herself.  (pictured below) We heard jingling girls all over the yard and house over the next few days.  The rabbits must have felt like they had belled the cat.




As expected, the shells were a big hit.  In the interest of luggage space (and because they were so cute!) I opted to focus mainly on perfect tiny shells.  There are plenty that I just couldn't pass up because of their color or funny barnacles or a break that shows the spirals inside.  There are also neat pieces of coral.  It makes me want to get a book on shells and learn what's what and what creatures are able to create them.  All the kids oohed and ahhed, but mom stayed there the longest.  No surprise, hee hee.













I think everyone's favorite part was trying the crazy "fruit" called Rambutan.  I brought back two cellophane containers.  We opened one the first day and then shared the second at the big picnic with the whole visiting crew. The fruit looks just like a sea urchin, but peels easily and inside looks like a translucent hard boiled egg.  There is a pit in the middle to spit out, but the flesh is sweet and, well, unique.  Each time they quickly disappeared.



I loaded these pictures through Picasa and am having a hard time inserting text where I want.  The above mostly show the kids enjoying the Rambutan.

No comments:

Post a Comment