Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Makenna's Photo Shoot

We finished our first real day of school (well, Jess still doesn't have all of her stuff, but everyone else does and we sure put in the time!) and I told the kids I needed some time to start putting some Germany stuff up on the blog.  Makenna immediately pointed out that we don't have any pictures of the plum tree and Grandma specifically said she wanted to see it.  So I sent her down with a camera to fill in the gaps while I folded laundry first.

Laundry is worth mentioning, perhaps.  We live on the top floor/attic/3rd level of our building.  There is a small laundry room in the basement.  It was once coin operated, but that feature isn't currently working which means it's free, which is preferable   There is one washer and one dryer and they are MUCH faster than the ones we used to have in Miesenbach.  They each hold more than double the one Matt had in Dubai or 1/2 what we were used to in Vegas.  So what's the comparison of Vegas to Dubai?  I'm very grateful that we didn't have to track down a laundromat or hire it out.  We just do a load or two every other day and it's all good.  Isaac tends to wear the same 3 shirts over and over because they are always on top.  The other thing to be grateful for is calorie burning.  There are 45 steps separating our dwelling and the washing facilities.  That's 90 round trip, if you can count going down.  Doing laundry requires a minimum of 3 trips with the possibility of more for more loads or attempted switching only to find it's not done yet.  The stairs aren't bad, they represent my new hills.  I was just starting to enjoy, even if I wasn't used to them, the hills of Colorado.  Hills, hills, more hills, and a mountain thrown in for good measure.  Ingolstadt is built around the Danube River and is flat, flat, flat.  The most I have run so far is 8 miles round trip and the only inclines were down and up paths under roadways.  So I have to love the stairs.  I'm sure I would love them much less if we had furniture to move, but 10 suitcases, three mattresses and 13 boxes don't really count as moving in, do they?

Okay, I may get onto several tangents as I try to chronicle our brief time in Germany trying to live as Germans, meaning without all the comforts or economic advantages of being linked to an American Base.  I'll break off now though and put in Makenna's pictures.  Do we have a budding photographer?  She did a long series of flowers and a very photogenic snail, but I will only include a couple of those.  Hooray for digital cameras!

Here is the plum tree.  We can look down on it from our "living room" window.  The kids picked many plums and they were delicious.  They are past their prime now, though, and smell as though the bees still feasting on them might be getting tipsy.  

The gate to our house.

Taken from the front door looking towards the gate.

The front door.  The first floor has a British family with two little kids.  They are trying to find a bigger, more permanent spot, but it's slow going.   The vacant housing has slim pickings.  We have no keys.  We have a code to enter to get into the front door and also into our own flat.

Ripe, fallen plums.


Bee feasting on sweet, sweet plum juice. 


Mr. Snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment