Saturday, December 14, 2013

First Week of December 2013

Isaac earned Life in November, but was officially awarded it at the court of honor in December.  He also picked a couple more merit badges.  4 more plus an eagle project to go....

He is so excited to go get those new badges!  

 His patrol was assigned side dishes for the pot luck afterwards. I made a huge batch of Chinese Chicken Salad.  My kids had huge helpings, but were completely bummed that there weren't leftovers to take home (one of the few, may I brag?).  So I made another big batch for lunch and dinner the next day.



I hit a new low in my search for chicken soup.  I still compulsively check the soup aisle at every grocery store.  Still no sign, but I did find this.
"Culllen Skink: Cream of smoked haddock soup".  Seriously?

We set up and decorated the tree.  I shouldn't really say "we" because I did almost no work besides getting out the boxes of ornaments.  I did hang the stockings and big advent calendar, but Matt and the kids assebled the tree and the kids hung lights, Jessica's 72' crocheted garland and lots of ornaments.  The star was and still is a work in progress.  



We have this set bedtime routine.  It has altered a bit over the years, but has consistently included tickles, family prayer, hugging routines and a bit of family chit chat.  For the past several months--maybe a year?--it has also involved gymnastics.  It used to be compulsive cartwheels, now it's more headstands.  Jess cannot enter our room without going upside down in one of two areas.  George isn't always there, but her sleeping cap is.


The weather has turned COLD.  I often open up a few doors in the morning and this is what happens: Blankets, sweatshirts and hot chocolate.  60 degrees is frigid.


The girls had a gymnastics show in conjunction with other children's performing arts for National Day.  Isaac tried to film it, but people kept standing in front of the camera.  I ran past the venue in the morning and took this with my phone.  The pictures at night didn't turn out well.  Here are a few from the gym instead.  

Aliya, Makenna's newly married and former continental (Africa) champion teacher and Makenna.




It had been a long day with two hours of practice before the show, so afterwards, they were ready to change clothes and go find some dinner!  We were close to the Dubai Mall, so went there.  The girls opted for MEAT, so we ended up at Texas Roadhouse.  It was good, but not compared with what we can do at home.  The picture above is them sharing a chair while we wait a few minutes for our number to be called.  Sounds so foreign, eh? 

 These next two pictures are blurry thanks to me taking a picture with my phone while it is in a baggie to protect it from sweat.  I went on a long nike ride with Isaac.  He did a full 30 miles, I did 28 along the new bike trail out in the desert past our house.  There were a few camels right by us.


And this one is completely random, but it forcefully made me think of the original Muppet Movie and I snapped a shot of gelatto.  But sorry, no Dragonfly Ripple.


1 comment: