Monday, December 30, 2013

Geocaching in Dubai Dec 2013

I was visiting with a friend and somehow geocaching came up--talking about summer activities probably.  She had never heard of it.  So I explained and showed her the app.  She got excited and said, "Let's go find one, right now!"  So we gathered up the 7 kids and went on a walk.  Dubai doesn't have nearly as many as anywhere else we have searched, but there happened to be one about a mile from her house.  We found it! But then one of the kids accidentally bumped it down the pipe (it was hanging on the edge with a bit of wire).  We tried a few sticks with which to attempt prying it up, but had no success.  We have plans to go fish it out with a wire hanger, currently in the back of my car, so others can find it.  I talked with her on New Year's Eve and they have since found a few more.  We also got on a bit of a kick and found a couple more over the break.
We logged our first one in Dubai! I say logged because I know of another one, found it and everything, but couldn't record it because I didn't have a pen/pencil and the kids weren't with me.  

Jess will keep doing cartwheels to celebrate. Michele is trying to see how far down it fell.

When we were at the Dubai Mall with Matt we found another.  This was the first one in a couple years for him, even though he was the original geocacher in the family.  

After Christmas, the girls and I were running around town doing some errands and had a bit of extra time. The picture is of us walking to the first one.  See the Burj Khalifa in the background?  We tried to go to a spot with three nearby, but struck out after searching for 20 minutes on the first, though Makenna got an painful souvenir.  We were on the wrong side of a very old fence.  A tree had fallen over it, so to save time, we decided to walk along the tree and hop off on the other side.  Unfortunately, flip flops are not the best adventuring shoes, but that's all we had.  

You have to think of the tree as lying almost horizontal.  Makenna slipped off the left branch and fell into a nest of scratchy branches.  I helped her up and she tied her sweatshirt around her waist to hide the tear in her pants.  

We saw a beautiful sunset on our way back to the car with nothing to show for it but ripped pants.  Grrr.  We will be back.  

When we got back we saw a spiffy beefed up car parked next to us.  The engine was on, but no one was inside.  There was some big show thing getting set up across the street.  We picked a busy time to investigate a normally quiet area.

We found the next one and it was big enough to have stuff inside to trade! 

Posing by the ancient "R2D2"  We found the area for the third one.  We were right there!  But we lost all light and my phone just didn't make a good enough flashlight for a camouflaged geocache.  We'll be back for that one too.

When we got home I got a better look at Makenna's rip and scratch.  Ouch.




1 comment: