Monday, June 1, 2015

20 March 2015 Gymnastics Competition

This was Jessica's first time competing at level 3.  She had only had a couple months to work on the new routine and skills so we weren't expecting much in the way of medals, but she was still jittery with excited energy.  She knew the hair-do she wanted, she loved the new uniforms that arrived a mere two days before the competition.  She painted her fingernails alternately black and silver and had eyeshadow plans that I didn't notice until we were at the venue--looked a little black-eye-ish.  We got up extra early to pack up the car so we could head straight to the  Order of the Arrow campout and join Isaac after the competition was over.

I kept close track of the scores for beam--her fist event.  She placed 5th out of the 12 in her division.  No medal and that's okay.  I was happy she was in the upper 1/2! 

I'll add videos here if I can figure out a good way....

Then on vault they only sporadically showed the scores to the crowd, so we had no idea how well she did.  And I cannot tell a good vault from bad.   They all look the same to me. 

Floor, more of the same with scores--no clue how she did comparatively.  She did well even with some confusing last minute instructions from her coach.   

Last was bars.  Bars used to be her most hated apparatus, but it has slowed improved in her estimation has more recently became her favorite.  I knew she was always two people after Aleaha, but Aleaha didn't compete on bars this time and I missed filming the beginning of her turn.  Grr.  

During a quick water break between events. 

So once the level 3 and above girls were finished, we were herded into another room for the awards.  We almost just left then because we didn't expect either gymnast-ex girl to place, but we went in anyway, mostly to check out which club did the best as we are seriously thinking of switching now that they have canceled rhythmic for Makenna! And it's an obnoxious drive.  So imagine our surprise when they called Aleaha up to get a bronze for floor!  Our little group made a lot of noise as she made her way up.  We were so busy congratulating her when she sat back down that we almost missed hearing them call Jess for bronze for vault!


And then GOLD for bars!  Plus she got silver all-around and I don't have a picture! 

The two girls--happy and now starving.  We hit Subway to grab sandwiches before heading out to EMEG.  Aleaha came with us to camp. 


Very happy girl.  Very bright sun. 

1 comment:

  1. LOOKIN GOOD TALENTED GIRL! GLAD MOM GOT SOME PICTURES FOR US.

    ReplyDelete