Makenna has found an activity that she LOVES! She has had two lessons so far. We have 8 lessons left on our fabulous Groupon, but we will probably buy more after that. The drive is further than the polo club, but the prices are better.
At her first lesson, there was another boy her age and two youngish men. They all got right up on their horses for stretching and lots of "up down" practice. When they began to walk, each horse was accompanied by a person to guide it. The students were drilled in "up" pause "down" pause, while holding their arms straight out, hands behind head, hands behind back. I was worried about Makenna's thighs, but she wasn't too sore the next day. One by one they were taken to the center for practice going faster. I am no horsewoman and I am sure there are terms for all these things I am describing, but I am completely ignorant as to what they are for now. Makenna might be able to fill me in after a few more weeks.
She loved her first lesson and couldn't wait to go back. The next time, I took the camera. This time started out the same, but by the end Makenna had left her human horse guide and was stopping and starting and directing her horse on her own. Oh, the happiness. The teacher would tell them when and where to go and the students were responsible to guide the horses. The exception was still in the center when they went faster one at a time. Then, the horse was on a long leash held by the other teacher. She was glowing with happiness at the end of her lesson. There is a big difference in riding on a horse being led, versus directing the horse. I know she enjoyed her first lesson, but after number two, she felt like a horseback rider.
At her first lesson, there was another boy her age and two youngish men. They all got right up on their horses for stretching and lots of "up down" practice. When they began to walk, each horse was accompanied by a person to guide it. The students were drilled in "up" pause "down" pause, while holding their arms straight out, hands behind head, hands behind back. I was worried about Makenna's thighs, but she wasn't too sore the next day. One by one they were taken to the center for practice going faster. I am no horsewoman and I am sure there are terms for all these things I am describing, but I am completely ignorant as to what they are for now. Makenna might be able to fill me in after a few more weeks.
She loved her first lesson and couldn't wait to go back. The next time, I took the camera. This time started out the same, but by the end Makenna had left her human horse guide and was stopping and starting and directing her horse on her own. Oh, the happiness. The teacher would tell them when and where to go and the students were responsible to guide the horses. The exception was still in the center when they went faster one at a time. Then, the horse was on a long leash held by the other teacher. She was glowing with happiness at the end of her lesson. There is a big difference in riding on a horse being led, versus directing the horse. I know she enjoyed her first lesson, but after number two, she felt like a horseback rider.
Waiting for class to start. In the session before, we saw another little girl riding. She looked quite experienced.
"Umm, it's kind of windy and I think I want my jacket."
"UP"
This was when she first took the reins (still doing "up and down"), but didn't have complete control yet. I was so excited for her after she starting leading on her own that I completely forgot about the camera.


No comments:
Post a Comment