Saturday, April 27, 2013

Luau

We attended our ward's 2nd annual Luau, and have been to both!  It's actually combined with the 1st ward too.  During the first 30 minutes, I was busy manning the chocolate fountain--keeping it refilled was a full time job.  It was so funny to watch clean little faces come and soon go away with massive chocolate goatees.  Then later they would sneak back, clean again, to repeat the process.  A bunch of moms were really happy when we finally pulled the plugs and took them back inside.  During this the girls were helping run a project table for kids--making leis out of string, cut up straws and mini muffin cups with holes punched through the centers.  Isaac was off with the YM putting the finishing touches on the Haka and putting on their war paint--a black crayola marker.  Isaac said, "It said washable." The party date had aligned with a down day for Matt, so he had come home early and dropped us off and was trying to figure out a SIM card problem my phone was having....  He got back in time for the entertainment and saw all the kids dance.  But both he and I missed seeing Jessica win the Hoola Hoop contest.  I was in the kitchen trying to clean the chocolate fountains--no quick task.  The award was a big bag of gummy worms, which I later saw her giving away to a boy who had come close, but lost.  They had outlasted all the adults.

Girls helping at the Lei table

Some of the primary doing "Pearly Shells" and "One Paddle".  Makenna is kneeling in the middle back.  Jess is far right.  

Isaac joined the youth in the stick dance--I don't know the real name and that's what all the kids call it.  It's almost more like a game or contest banging the sticks on the ground, against your own, your partner's and then tossing and catching them in increasing complexity.

Practicing his Haka face.  He needs more tongue.  

Johnny is so tall, you can't help focus in on him in this picture, but Isaac forcefully led this one.  I got so many compliments and comments from parents about his strong presence.  I think the Shakespeare experience was a big influence.  The funniest part is that Makenna got a lot of compliments from the friends is her age group.  He has some fans.  

This is a crummy picture of a few of the Filipino men doing a fun coconut banging dance.  

These are most of the Activity Day girls doing the Hukilau.  They won't need much persuasion to do it at any upcoming family reunions.  

There was also a traditional Filipino dance with balanced candles that was nice. 

I don't have pictures of the other hulas because they turned out badly.  It was a fun night though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment