I will be doing a photo dump from my phone to figure out where all the time has gone! But first I'll write about a few things that come to mind.
One new thing this school year has been debate club. We are holding it once a month for interested homeschoolers aged 12 and up. The first month's topic was "American doctors should continue to travel and help victims of infectious diseases." The kids were put into two groups: one pro, one against. Last month the statement was "2 years of foreign language should be required for high school graduation." The kids were randomly assigned a side, so they had to come prepared to argue either way. That was a very interesting topic. As a parent moderator, I have a hard time trying to separate my own opinions and just looking at good debate skills. I thought the "no" side did a better job, but it that just because that's how I feel? We have about 15 kids and it is eagerly anticipated each month. Jess likes it too because it is held at the Allam's house and she gets to play with Adam and Sarah. Next week's statement: People should continue to study and build robots to act as humans.
I got sick! This really isn't note worthy except that it just lingered for way too long. Luckily, no one else was put out of commission. It was just a bad head cold, but for close to two weeks I didn't work out and was taking naps almost every afternoon to get through the day. Lame. I had a really crazy voice, but am pretty much back to full function. So lame how fast you lose fitness--my first days back made me sore! But it is so nice to workout outside! I love this weather! (This was all true when I was typing this a few days ago, but the girls are now showing symptoms. Sadness. I hope they go through it faster.)
Our water heaters are back on in all the bathrooms. You still can't get cold water, but the cold is no longer hot enough. Matt and I swam a mile today and yesterday. The water feels refreshing once you get going, but definitely feels a little chilly now. The thermometer in the pool said 84 F today--about the same as the air. Ah, it's lovely.
Makenna not only got her braces tightened this week, she was given a bag of extra bands with instructions to put a new set on everyday. They hook on the sides and join her jaws. She hates them because they add extra pain and make talking difficult. The good news is that she is very close to being done. Considering how crooked her teeth were, this has been fast, possibly less than a year. Happily, her appointment was in the late afternoon, after a very fun filled day. Her friend Issy invited her to go with their family to Wild Wadi. So from 10am till I picked her up at 4, she had a fabulous day. Hopefully she went to sleep remembering going down "traffic" 13 times and being generally distracted from sore teeth.
Isaac has been dealing with a continued skin irritation. We thought it was eczema, but didn't have much success with self treatment. Eventually I made an appointment at a dermatologist. She prescribed a new cream and made a follow-up appointment. It had gotten a bit better. She cut back how often he should use it and made a follow-up appointment. Long story short, after 5 or 6 appointments including one it which they took a skin biopsy from just below his knee, we still don't know a perfect cause or cure. There are things that help to varying degrees, but it ebbs and returns. My friend Michele was experiencing a similar thing and used natural apple cider vinegar with mother. Yes, you read that right. There is a type of vinegar that contains mother. It stinks, but seemed to really help. We have all gotten so sick of the smell though, so he is taking a break from it to gauge its effectiveness.
The girls planned a Halloween party of their own. Because of the campout the previous weekend, they picked to have it the day after Halloween (Saturday). They emailed out some invites, extended some over Facebook (at least Makenna did) and told friends at gymnastics. I wasn't quite sure how many to expect. It turned out that we had 21: a mixture of homeschool, church, gymnastics and a few younger siblings tagging along. I had made a huge crockpot full of shredded BBQ chicken, had 30 rolls, cut up a dozen cucumbers and carrots and a few bags of chips so we were good on food. Jess especially enjoyed planning games: eat the donut off the string with no hands, a relay race, build towers with marshmallows and toothpicks, popping balloons on strings tied to feet (is there an official name for that game Brian?) goblins and ghouls.... The games went really well for the first hour, but after dinner, the older kids wanted to chat, to the frustration of the younger set who wanted to play! I told Jess to give up on them and play with her friends and all was well. They left between 7 and 8, since it was a school night.
Isaac had an English due date which included 4 or 5 papers and spent the evening in his room typing away. He was feeling too grown-up anyway, but there were two 16 year olds in attendance and I bet he would have had fun if he let himself. I snapped a couple shots during the arguably most boring part of the night.
After almost a year of looking online at Dubizzle (Like Craig's list), and at various sports stores, Makenna found a bike she LOVES when we finally found the Sun Sand and Sports outlet about which I have heard so much. It is a hybrid, like Isaac's and still very lightweight.
One new thing this school year has been debate club. We are holding it once a month for interested homeschoolers aged 12 and up. The first month's topic was "American doctors should continue to travel and help victims of infectious diseases." The kids were put into two groups: one pro, one against. Last month the statement was "2 years of foreign language should be required for high school graduation." The kids were randomly assigned a side, so they had to come prepared to argue either way. That was a very interesting topic. As a parent moderator, I have a hard time trying to separate my own opinions and just looking at good debate skills. I thought the "no" side did a better job, but it that just because that's how I feel? We have about 15 kids and it is eagerly anticipated each month. Jess likes it too because it is held at the Allam's house and she gets to play with Adam and Sarah. Next week's statement: People should continue to study and build robots to act as humans.
I was so proud that Makenna (even though she was the youngest) volunteered to speak for her group in the first debate. No other girls did! Good for her to represent. Isaac and Tarek had to be reigned in sometimes to make sure others had a shot if wanted. They aren't shy about sharing their opinions and were happy to be opposing each other.
I got sick! This really isn't note worthy except that it just lingered for way too long. Luckily, no one else was put out of commission. It was just a bad head cold, but for close to two weeks I didn't work out and was taking naps almost every afternoon to get through the day. Lame. I had a really crazy voice, but am pretty much back to full function. So lame how fast you lose fitness--my first days back made me sore! But it is so nice to workout outside! I love this weather! (This was all true when I was typing this a few days ago, but the girls are now showing symptoms. Sadness. I hope they go through it faster.)
Our water heaters are back on in all the bathrooms. You still can't get cold water, but the cold is no longer hot enough. Matt and I swam a mile today and yesterday. The water feels refreshing once you get going, but definitely feels a little chilly now. The thermometer in the pool said 84 F today--about the same as the air. Ah, it's lovely.
Makenna not only got her braces tightened this week, she was given a bag of extra bands with instructions to put a new set on everyday. They hook on the sides and join her jaws. She hates them because they add extra pain and make talking difficult. The good news is that she is very close to being done. Considering how crooked her teeth were, this has been fast, possibly less than a year. Happily, her appointment was in the late afternoon, after a very fun filled day. Her friend Issy invited her to go with their family to Wild Wadi. So from 10am till I picked her up at 4, she had a fabulous day. Hopefully she went to sleep remembering going down "traffic" 13 times and being generally distracted from sore teeth.
Isaac has been dealing with a continued skin irritation. We thought it was eczema, but didn't have much success with self treatment. Eventually I made an appointment at a dermatologist. She prescribed a new cream and made a follow-up appointment. It had gotten a bit better. She cut back how often he should use it and made a follow-up appointment. Long story short, after 5 or 6 appointments including one it which they took a skin biopsy from just below his knee, we still don't know a perfect cause or cure. There are things that help to varying degrees, but it ebbs and returns. My friend Michele was experiencing a similar thing and used natural apple cider vinegar with mother. Yes, you read that right. There is a type of vinegar that contains mother. It stinks, but seemed to really help. We have all gotten so sick of the smell though, so he is taking a break from it to gauge its effectiveness.
Isaac's biopsy. The nurse and doctor laughed at his toughness because he kept referring to the two stitches as "scratches" and they kept calling them "wounds". He was supposed to not do anything active for 10 days so he wouldn't rip out the stitches. He skipped swim team for 3 days, but then rode his bike, crashed pretty good banging up the top of his knee and his chin, but keeping his stitches intact..for a couple more days.
I have no memory of a back story for this one. Just Jess.
I left the girls to do a science experiment while I dealt with a car issue and told them to document. I got a couple pictures.
Family shopping trip to Mirdif for, umm, something. But I know we went to Decathlon.
They were laughing and laughing at a horrible frosting creation of Elsa, but we don't have a picture of her. But here is a decent Olaf
I don't remember what I was doing--probably something like unloading groceries--but was dismayed that I was still sweating through clothes doing little mundane tasks.
Jess at Raven's house for a playdate.
I snapped this while driving on one of my 4 trips to the police station trying to get some paper work stamped for our former beloved piano teacher--currently teaching school in Russia.
A batch of homemade cinnamon rolls--most without frosting, just how we adore them.
Makenna reading with her head scarf.
From our belated, most excellent anniversary. We took our first overnight trip (still in town) without leaving an adult relative home with the kids. Of course they were great, and we had a smashing good time. We just might have to keep an eye on local deals and not wait for an anniversary to sneak away till lunchtime.
More food pictures? This is the sea bass that I made special for Isaac. I resorted to bribery to get him to finish the workbooks for his last couple eagle required merit badges. I told him I would make the dinner of his choice once they were submitted. Check. Now he just has his project to finish by June.
Believe it or not, she does this on purpose.
Waiting for our pizza so we can rush home for "Thursday night football."
Makenna hair creation. How does she do it on her own head??
This is sideways, sorry. Cafe Rio Night!
The kids approve!
Jessica trying out the new sleeping bags for the Turkey trip.
Isaac got new lights for his bike, front and back. Now that the sun is setting earlier, it's dark coming home from swim team.
At decathlon trying out possible ponchos for Turkey.
Shopping lunch
Makenna's gymnastics teacher
Post Turkey wearing her favorite new shirt and traditional granny pants.
At the store wearing her favorite new pants.
Jess has been wearing this head scarf for a week!
They requested pomegranates and figs on our first shopping trip back in Dubai.
What I found in the catch of the washing machine after turkey camping loads.
Still loving these pants!
Back porch
Makenna is constatnly raiding my closet for skirts and ruining them for me. She looks so cute in them and I just don't have a 12 year old's body and can't think I look good in them anymore. At least she approves of my taste.
Even is she is just having a snack, she makes it beautiful.
We found more Turkey pants--at a store like super walmart called Geant. They were even cheaper too! We got some for the little sisters so now I don't have to make them before Turkish night.
A quick shot of the bag I made for Jessica's friend Raven's birthday. It turned out well and is being used for gymnastics most days.
Trying to find ski coats.
This store so often has really clever window displays (Harvey Nichols). This time the mannequins are in changing rooms.
A steak salad that turned out super good. We love big salads. Extra beets=crowd pleaser.
Makenna's Halloween Concept.
On our way to trick or treat with the Thomas family. They live in Arabian Ranches too, just a few neighborhoods away. Our car was in the shop getting new brakes, so we walked. Phew, it was warm and I kept sweating off my mustache.
The best house decoration.
Sorting of treats.
Isaac had an English due date which included 4 or 5 papers and spent the evening in his room typing away. He was feeling too grown-up anyway, but there were two 16 year olds in attendance and I bet he would have had fun if he let himself. I snapped a couple shots during the arguably most boring part of the night.
Trying on Isaac's old snow pants--from Aldi. She is the only one who will not be renting pants.
I just love this picture.
Makenna trying on the long underwear from Tchibo.
Isaac too. I don't know why everyone is posing on furniture.
Jess found this hat on sale for 5 AED (less than $2). She braids the tassels in with her hair. It looks really cute, but we all have to resist the urge to pull on the hat.
After almost a year of looking online at Dubizzle (Like Craig's list), and at various sports stores, Makenna found a bike she LOVES when we finally found the Sun Sand and Sports outlet about which I have heard so much. It is a hybrid, like Isaac's and still very lightweight.
She and her friend Issy are starting bike riding together to train for a triathlon in the March.


















































Holy cow, Jess's arms! She is so strong! :) Great post! I love reading about all of your adventures.
ReplyDelete