It felt completely weird dropping the kids off at our friends' house to do school Friday morning and then trust that the rest of the crazy weekend schedule would all work out. It was a rather typical busy weekend, but I've had a few years to build up to this and I felt bad thrusting it upon Brian and Hilary. I dropped off the girls' soccer stuff (including team snacks) and Isaac's football stuff at their house Thursday night so Kim Popp wouldn't have more than their school stuff and Makenna's dance stuff to keep track of. I also dropped off directions to Jen Allred (thanks!!) so she could pick up Makenna early so the girls could practice their dance on the stage before the talent show. Brian and Hilary surpassed my all hopes and expectations in the logistics area and then played ring masters to a couple of days full of fun and games. Besides a few checking up texts, I let the kids be. It was a huge relief to leave them with loving, responsible (yes, you too Brian) relatives. It allowed me to let go of more stress than I realized I was holding onto and run it all away. I came back from that little trip a new woman and felt . . . happy.
So after I dropped the kids off, I drove to the Reese's to hitch a ride to the airport. I drove around with Cathy and Lee, but shared a hotel room with Wendy and her sister. We were all at the same place, along with two of Cathy's childhood friends--completely fun girls/moms. It rained the whole drive from the airport to Ogden and we all prayed harder for nice weather the next morning. They had had rain all week and had to close the canyon for a couple of days after some mud slides, but it all got cleaned up in time for the race and we had absolutely beautiful weather Saturday morning. The 200% snow pack had started to melt and the river was roaring, but didn't flood the road, but it was so much bigger than last year. I rather liked hearing the sound of the water over my headphones. But I'm getting off topic. I was trying to be chronological. Airport to expo, expo to an Olive Garden dinner where we all ate too much, guilt free. Then to the hotel to check in and try and get some sleep.
I actually got more sleep than ever before on a big race night. At least 3 1/2 hours. That probably helped. We had to be on the buses by 5 local time (felt like 4 to us Las Vegas folk) to begin the drive up to the start. That bus ride feels so long. The whole time you are thinking, shouldn't we be there by now, I have to run all the way back! We were dropped off in a field of fire pits and porta-potties to soak our shoes in the rain soaked grass. Many of the vetrans brought plastic bags to wear on their feet. Curses that I didn't remember that tidbit. We all had on lots of extra layers expecting it to be in the high 30's, but it didn't feel quite so bad. After the hour+ wait, I took off both pairs of pants and one shirt. I left on my favorite lightweight long sleeved shirt expecting to tie it around my waist and the obnoxious turkey trot sweatshirt to throw away. Wendy made one last minute potty run, but then couldn't find us in line. Lee and Wendy's sister zoomed off at the gun. The remaining 4 of us started by the 4:00 balloon pacer. Cathy stayed with her buddies, but I drifted ahead.
I was too much in my own head, but in a positive way. The sleep, fresh mountain air, 4000 running buddies and of course the running itself had me smiling and feeling good. I did not have a planned goal, but a distant hope of coming close to my time last year. I thought if I trotted ahead of the 4 hour pacer, that would give me time to take a quick break at 13. I smiled all through the first half, clipping along at just under a 9 minute pace. The stresses of moving out of our house and in with a friend and planning for the next 6 months were left behind as the miles ticked by. I did stop at 13 and I did walk through all the aid stations, drinking at most and gulping down a GU when offered. I stayed ahead of 4 hr. balloon guy until close to mile 19. He passed me there, but I kept him in sight until we left the canyon and entered the city park which cut out his visibility. By 22 I was less euphoric, more determined. Somewhere around there, I caught up to Lee. Poor guy started out way too fast (He hit 13 in 1:41!!) and was now paying the price. I passed on, but before long Cathy caught him too. We all finished together. The last 2 miles were HARD. My hamstrings were seizing up. Cathy told me later that I had the funniest gait ever. I was trying to shake my legs out as I ran so the knots that were twitching and threatening wouldn't solidify and make me fall over. I certainly was slower those last two, but I didn't walk. 4:03 (we can round off those extra 40-something seconds, right?) I was thrilled and confident that I had done my best for that day. Maybe I could have skipped the bathroom break, but really, who cares.
After the race, we all enjoyed a much needed massage/stretch session with the kind volunteers from the massage therapy school. Then we hustled back to the hotel for an even more needed shower. Cathy's friend Heidi introduced us to their families' favorite local restaurant and we indulged in yummy Mexican food and had a relaxing late lunch before heading to the airport. We maybe should have planned on the next earlier flight, but honestly it was nice to lay out on the floor at an empty gate at the airport and stretch and stretch and stretch some more before the flight home.
It was fun to NOT be the only person hobbling a bit at church the next morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment