Sunday, May 1, 2011

2011 SHAC Tri

I am going to go ahead and post this with the pictures I have.  Shame, shame, shame on me for not remembering ours, but a huge thanks to Grandma Chris for taking so many great shots!  This year Isaac stepped up to the challenge of the Adult Sprint race.  That is twice the distance he did last year.  Thanks to a lot of craziness and over-scheduling, none of us were well training this time around.  I can sum up what we did in a few of sentences.  I  have been focused on running and did almost nothing else.  We all went to the pool for laps once.   Isaac and I went on 2 bike rides with his new bike.  Thank goodness the girls like to bike and run around naturally.  

We spent the night in the Preece's trailer.  Isaac and I left in the dark to go set up for our race.  Chris picked up Matt and the girls and we met up with them a little later.   

Isaac wanted to go towards the back of the line, hoping the sun would warm the air more before starting.  I didn't complain. As many times as I have done this race (4th) I still got full butterflies as I got to the diving boards, and close to the beginning. 
400 yd swim, 10 mile bike, 5 K run

Isaac beat me on the swim. 

Guilt, guilt.  Makenna was riding Isaac's bike for the race.  He had been outside practicing changing gears with her the day before and we all forgot to raise the seat back up.  Isaac had to ride 10 miles with it 2 inches too low!  He totally would have taken first in his age group if we hadn't forgot.  He was 2nd by 2 minutes.  

um, lovely.  I did cut more time off, but remained 5th in my age. Sub 1:14.  Not bad for zero tri training.  

Jess stepped up to the longer kids' race with Makenna.  They were so excited and did so well.  
100 yd swim, 2 mile bike, 3/4 mile run.

Aspen's cousin, Makenna's good friend Aspen, Makenna and Jess: they are ready to go! 

Makenna ROCKED on the swim.  After her first lap I had to hustle outside to be at her station and almost didn't make it.  Her laps were less than a minute each.

Poor Jess got clobbered by the girl in her lane.  Jess is backstroking and the other girl is crawling and they are both going down the middle.  Jess got dunked under and got a big fingernail gouge in her nose. But she didn't stop.  Once she came back up and got her bearings, she just kept going to finish her laps.  

Makenna mounting her bike, with the seat her size! 

Isaac ran with Jess out of transition.  See his medal?  2nd place is still awesome.  


Makenna headed back in from her ride. 

Jess headed out on her run.

And here comes Makenna!  
She cut so much time off from last year.  A random guy started talking to me about her coming in so fast, not knowing I was her mom.  So I'm not just showing favoritism.  


Jess coming to the finish line! 


Both girls worked so hard and felt so great at the end!  They love their medals and shirts.  They feel like they really earned them.  I love this event.  So good for families, so good for promoting healthy kids! 



Austin finished her first tri and did awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment