Thursday, May 26, 2011

Settled in our Temporary Home

We moved in with our very kind friends, the Jones, Monday, May 16th.  The packers successfully crammed everything we own into 2 10x20 storage lockers (minus the 6 months of clothes, toiletries, too much school stuff, 2 twin mattresses, a futon mattress, blah, blah that we have at the Jones'.)  They, the Jones, are in the process of moving out too.  We will actually be leaving Nevada the same week.  So we might switch homes for the last few days.  I know it sounds crazy, but it is actually working out really well.  Marlin Jones is already working and living in AZ. Their 5 kids are in school all day.  Lorna was subbing PE at school, but is done with that and is now focused on packing which I can help with between school.  We are tag teaming cooking meals and running kids to activities.  We are working together to ease the single parent situation.  I know we are the main recipient, but it feels good to be helpful.  She loads up a trailer each weekend with an amazing amount of stuff and drives to AZ to see husband/dad and transition out of their house.  The family buying their house is buying quite a bit of their furniture and all their appliances, so we all can still use those.  She homeschooled last year and knows the deal and I don't feel like we are cramping their family's groove.  We have had so many kind offers from many families in the ward, but the homeschooling thing makes to wary of being too intrusive.  Our combined 8 kids are getting along great.  It has been such a blessing for us.

The great news for our kids is that they are almost all done with school, early! They have all finished a few classes and are down to just 2 subjects each.  We'll have a celebration soon.  And unloading all the books will be such a relief!  It took 3 full truck loads (my truck, not a big moving truck) to move in here, but we only have room for one load on the way to Colorado.  Take out school and the beds and we will hopefully be okay.

Looking back someday, the logistics might be interesting, so I'm going to jot them down.  Lorna moved three of her boys in together to give us our own room and bathroom, which was super nice.  During the day we put my twin bed on top of Isaac's to allow some walking space to access our bookshelf and closet.  (She also totally emptied out a great walk in closet.  We are spoiled.)  The girls are sharing a big futon mattress.  At night we just move my bed into the space between the girls' bed and the bookshelves, shower, brush teeth, read scriptures and say good night.  I was really bad at getting any sleep the first few nights.  I am a very light sleeper where the kids are concerned.  I tried wearing my headphones and that helped.  After Ogden, I got a cold and have been taking NyQuil and besides waking up coughing now and then, I am sleeping much better.  ha ha.  It really is getting easier.  We are all getting very adaptable.

Makenna said a very wise thing the week before we left our old house.  "Mom, we are going to get very adjustable."  That is our new joke/mantra.  But we switch out adjustable with adaptable and flexible at will.

The Jones still have their piano here so my kids are taking lessons to the bitter end.  I am so proud of all the progress they have made and don't want to stop.  We are bringing their basic books with us to Germany in with the plan of finding a nice local who wants to hear a little kid concert daily or bring their books to church and practice before or after. . . .  I just don't want them to loose what they have developed in the last year. 

We are adjustable.  We have many months ahead of us to become even more so.  I don't see how this can do anything but aid them in their future lives with other moves, or being missionaries, students, etc.

This was taken first thing in the morning.  The girls are still zonked.  I have the green bed, Isaac has blue.  Makenna is on the right, Jess on the left and George got left in the middle.  


During the day I stack my bed on top of Isaac's on the side.   


Here are a few shots of the kids playing football in the backyard.  Makenna, Hailey, and Jaylyn are not pictured due to dance and volleyball. 

 


These are pictures I took of the kids on our way out to church.  The all were looking rather grown-up and good looking.  One of those sad/happy moments.  





No comments:

Post a Comment